Windows 7...worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Luxeon, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I have Vista X64. No problems with it...but, it feels kinda slow sometimes, especially at startup. It isn't severe, but it is noticeable.

BUT, I can get Windows 7 ultimate (legally) for $20 through my employer.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Also, is the install difficult? (my wife likes how things are set up so I would hate to have to re-do everything).

Thanks,
    Bob

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what are the specifications of your computer and what software do you have installed?
    give make and model if possible.

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

For $20 I would buy it even if I didn't plan on using it right away.

Sul.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would go for it too. Win 7 is much lighter, more responsive, and generally quicker than Vista.... after you use 7, you won't believe that you put up with Vista for so long. Do a clean install of 7.

5. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

+1
    Note that with win 7 ultimate, you also get access to an XP virtual machine.
    $20 for an upgrade + a free XP virtual machine = good deal :D

6. denniz

denniz Registered Member

For $20.. go for it! :D

Windows 7 is very easy to install. If you managed it in Vista, then Windows 7 will be no problem at all.

Compared to Vista, Windows 7 is superior in every way. :cool:

7. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Definitely go for it. Your PC will run faster and smoother compared to Vista and you'll realise just how annoying Vista really is. Win7 is what Vista should have been all along. Microsoft should reallly be giving it away for free to Vista users along with a 'sorry' note and a box of chocolates :D

8. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Another vote to go for it. :thumb:

Although I usually run XP Home and Pro, I have Vista Ultimate (32 bit) and have tried Windows 7.
    As previously stated, W-7 is superior in responsiveness and offers enhancements above and beyond what you can get from Vista.

For $20.00, I think it's a great deal for you !

9. wearetheborg

Plus you get Applocker with ultimate :thumb:

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have Vista and Win 7, and personally, to me they are the same. I could care less about the OS to be honest. I have UAC turned off, run as Admin and maintain a solid backup. Enjoy your computers.:D

11. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Buy it now buy it now buy it now! :)

12. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I have a Dell Inspiron 530, with a 500Gb hard drive, Vista X64 Home Premium, 4Gb RAM, Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40Ghz.

Do you mean all of the software installed? Here are the highlights:
    Software: Microsoft Security Essentials, SAS Free, Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Photo gallery, Office 2007 (Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel and I think a couple of others), Firefox, IE8, Adobe Reader, Polaroid My Memories Suite, Acronis, DVD Fab and a few others. UAC on, Firewall on, Router...shrimp ice cream, shrimp cocktail, shrimp gumbo, shrimp burger...that is about it. :D

I admit that a clean install kinda freaks me out a bit. Is it really that much superior to installing over Vista?

Bob

13. wearetheborg

No question about it, you dont even have Pro which has software restriction policies; definitely get ultimate it its Applocker security feature (= next gen software restriction policies)

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You won't be comparing apples to apples if you do a clean install of 7, you will be comparing apples to oranges, as a clean install of Vista itself would probably be faster than your current one. Clean installs almost always are.

If you do decide to do a clean install, I would highly recommend you check some of the threads out regarding imaging. Make some images at specific points: right after install/activation ; after a good number of your apps/settings are in place ; after just about all your apps/settings are in place. This way, you don't have to do a clean install again, you can just put the image back on, and you have a few different points to go back to, depending on whether you wanted to start over with what you want to install/configure.

It does take awhile to configure a clean install to "just the way I like it" feel. Get hooked on imaging and then a whole new world begins to open for you.

Sul.

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Windows Seven Ultimate for just $20 o_O
    -What are you waiting for? :D

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

FWIW I've done a couple of Vista to 7 upgrades and they completed successfully. I would recommend a few things by way of preparation:

Make sure that your hardware (printers, scanners, etc) is supported in 7. In most cases if it works in Vista it will work in 7, but you don't want any surprises, right?

Run disk cleanup and also delete all System Restore points.

Run CCleaner to get rid of additional detritus.

Disable all auto-starting third party apps (Winpatrol is good for this).

Uninstall all third party toolbars from Internet Explorer.

Do Full Scans of the system with your AV and also something like MBAM to make sure you don't have malware.

Run Check Disk with the auto-fix option enabled.

Uninstall your antivirus software.

Boot from the Windows 7 DVD and run the Upgrade!

Doing the above will make the upgrade go faster and reduce the chance of a screwup. By the way, upgrading can easily take 2-3 hours, so allow enough time and don't worry about how friggin long it's taking :)

Good luck and enjoy 7.

17. korben

korben Registered Member

I liked XP and I liked Vista

would never go back to using either.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Win7 has something about it for me anyway, that makes it what I want to use rather than XP. XP is faster, snappier in almost all respects IMO. But, I find myself enjoying the changes that 7 brought, and I find they are more productive. I never thought I would say that, but I finally have.

Vista to 7, for what little I have used Vista, it always felt less than XP. Win7 feels almost comparable speed wise.. almost.

Sul.

19. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Excellent info, folks--many thanks!
    I picked up the program today.

In looking at my computer, it has only been in use for a bit over a year. It has been very well-maintained without a zillion files or programs, so I think I will try an upgrade first, and convert to a clean install if the results aren't to my liking...but, I intend to research the process a bit more, so a clean install isn't out of the question.

My statement above was probably inaccurate regarding speed. Bootup isn't extremely slow, but it isn't lightning either. Maybe a minute or so (need to time it).
    Once stabilized, it is pretty quick...and it is blazingly fast compared to my old XP machine.

My wife relies upon our primary computer for work, so I have to make sure I can get it back up in a reasonable amount of time.
    Might end up sleeping in the garage if I screw up!

The reason a clean install spooks me a bit is because I have only done a single clean install. It went ok, but I did have to do a lot of digging and tinkering to get things right. That was on my old 2001 XP box (defective hard drive), which I am typing from now.

For Vicktek123: Your recommendations make sense, but why would I disable auto-starting third-party software and uninstall my AV software (MSE)?

Secondarily: Can't I disable startup programs via the operating system, rather than using another app (selective startup)?

20. wearetheborg

Win 7 has an easier install procedure than XP, many of the drivers are found automatically. It helps if your laptop manufacturer has a list of win 7 driver downloads on its webpage that you can donwload beforehand...

21. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I just ran the upgrade adviser and was surprised to discover that Acronis TI 10.0.4942 is incompatible with Windows 7. Bummer.
    Any workarounds? I like Acronis. If not, I can utilize the W7 backup utility.

I will backup the data only in native format using Synctoy.

22. wearetheborg

23. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Macrium Reflect (free) works fine with W7 and has a Boot CD (I think just no incrementals) or ATI just released their 2011 version (I don't know if this is just for 2010 owners but I got an offer to upgrade for $10.00 and you can anyway for $30.00) Make a backup of Vista with Macrium and if anything messes up you can be sure of recovery. Edit:just noticed it's Vista 64, MR works with W7-64 so should with Vista, kind of ambiguous about it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

From what I understand 7 is lighter and more stable than Vista, but how about security? Lots of advertised features like default UAC, DEP, ASLR, Patchguard etc. are also in Vista. They redesigned the security center and UAC has more levels to make it more user friendly, but things like that don't improve security. Is 7 more secure than Vista?

25. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Wearetheborg.
    Is True Image the same as Backup and Recovery Workstation?

Wait a minute: I checked more info, and it appears that under "older Acronis products" it lists TI 10 Home, which is what I have...and apparently it is not supported by any of the Windows 7 products.
    Strange that it seems to work ok with Vista.

Maybe I will try Macrium Reflect...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.