Windows 7 upgrades with ESET Smart Security

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by agoretsky, Aug 3, 2009.

1. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Microsoft has notified software developers that some of the technologies used by security, backup, disk utility and network management programs are incompatible with the Windows Vista to Windows 7 upgrade process. This is a direct result of Microsoft’s design decisions and impacts most antivirus solutions that scan network data.

ESET has verified that the Personal firewall module in both versions 3 and 4 of ESET Smart Security is affected. The problem only affects computers being upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows Vista SP1 and SP2. Customers working with new installations of Windows 7 will not experience these problems, nor will customers upgrading from Windows XP (which performs a clean install).

ESET NOD32 Antivirus is not affected.

ESET is working closely with Microsoft as we approach the official launch of Windows 7 to address any potential compatibility issues and promptly communicate issues like this to our valued partners. Further information is available at http://www.eset.com/windows7upgrade.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a simple enough workaround, removing eset, and reinstalling it after the vista -> win7 upgrade.

3. midgo

midgo Registered Member

I upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista Sp2 before reading this information.

When the upgrade finished I had a screen on Eset Smart Security showing the firewall issue highlighted in the Eset info link shown.

I have tried uninstalling and re installing but no go and my network is still having problems when the Eset firewall is active.

I have had to disable the firewall and am using only the real time and antivirus protection and the Windows 7 firewall which does not cause issues with my network.

Is there a work around for people who have already upgraded to Windows 7 before finding out the above info?

Any help appreciated.:(

4. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Sorry, but clean install of Windows 7 here (no upgrade) and the firewall portion of ESS is not working correctly.

I cannot create a rescue disk, nor can I access a shared folder correctly.

5. agoretsky

Hello,

The RTW version of Microsoft Windows 7 does not seem to be available yet for download on MSDN or Microsoft Connect.

For those of you who have obtained ISOs or installation media from sources other than directly from Microsoft, those are not valid versions and may not contain the same bits as the version which will be released tomorrow. It is even possible that they contain non-Microsoft code.

After Microsoft has released the official versions to the world-wide web and ESET (not to mention all the other ISVs in the Microsoft partner ecosystem) have had a chance to download and test their programs with them, you should see an announcement about compatibility. In the meantime, keep in mind that version 4 of ESET's software was designed, developed and tested with Microsoft Windows 7 in mind and there should not be any major issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. TheIgster

Fair enough.

I am running the RTM version of Windows 7.

The firewall in ESET'S Smart Security does not work as expected and does not properly allow the sharing of folders.

I cannot say how I have obtained the RTM version of Windows 7, but it in fact matches the "official" release.

I suspect in the next little while, this forum will be swimming with Windows 7 users who cannot use their purchased ESS as it blocks shared folders. Not always, but sometimes. Then other times it does not. There is no rhyme or reason, but I can say without question it does not work as it should.

7. Scoty

Scoty Registered Member

I have install Windows 7 Final with Eset 4 Security Suite and not good working. Eset turn not off the 7 Firewall and i can not see Eset in the Security Center. When i turn off Eset i dont see any infos from 7. With the RC i dont have this problem.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You have it - you have this ^final^ Windows 7 . But Windows 7 is not final . What you might have is RTM version . Not RTW version , neither what the public will have on Oct 22nd. Just wait until the 2H of October , get the newest ESET Smart Security version then and if it is still not working start COMPLAING and COMPLAING , and COMPLAING - but then , at the end of October .

>>> not now , please . Windows 7 is still not 100% ready , neither are software and hardware vendors . It is all marketing - they are playing with you to make you more and more addicted to it , to Windows 7 . But there is quite a lot of time until it is released as it should be.
    It has always been like that . Just have a look in the past :
    Windows XP -> first accepted release SP1a , best accepted SP2
    Windows Vista -> quite a lot of changes - security , stability , new feautures -> SP1

Why rush for Windows 7 and so much noise about it

9. DonVa

DonVa Registered Member

I have official RTM of vista (64 bit directly from Microsoft) .
    Will do a fresh install later and post if ESS ok..

10. navlasop

navlasop Registered Member

Same issue - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RTM (technet)
    Eset Smart security installs fine, gave no errors, next reboot, tough the firewall components were down. This was from a almost clean install.

Already reinstalled the machine, gonna install what i need and image it first, then i'll see if i can make it work of it's just broken...

11. agoretsky

Hello,

ESET is testing ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus with Microsoft Windows 7, as downloaded directly from Microsoft.

One important fact that people should keep in mind is that there is an approximately a 2.5 month window between the release of Windows 7 on MSDN and Microsoft Connect and before it becomes generally available to consumers through retail channels. Aside from the time required to manufacture all the shrinkwrapped packages of the software, the larger reason for a gap of this size is to allow the developers and IT professionals whom are part of of the Microsoft partner ecosystem to find and fix any last-minute issues prior to releasing compatible products (for developers), check for incompatiblities with line of business applications prior to enterprise deployment (for IT professionals), prepare new computers to sell (for OEMs) and all the other tasks that have to be performed when a new major version of an operating system is released.

After testing has concluded and the results reviewed, we will have a better idea of whether there are any issues or incompatibilities and how to address them, which could be via module update, the release of a new build, knowledgebase articles, et cetera.

ESET is just as interested as you are in how their software performs on this new operating system, and a little patience is requested on your part while this is investigated. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

12. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

A problem has just been found with the Checkdisk app but it seems MS will release a fix for it, that proves the point of agoretsky and others.

13. navlasop

navlasop Registered Member

*EDIT*

Bah, user error :p (<--- ME) Seems it was still related to the soundcard drivers - I was sure i had applied the workaround for it, but guess i hadn't. Basically, RC soundcard drivers for the Asus Xonar Essence STX stopped 32 bit applications from running correctly/starting. It was the culprit in my case

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  14. DonVa

DonVa Registered Member

Cl;ean install of Windows 7 64 bit (rtm direct from Microsoft).

Installed and all working fine so far.
    using Interactive mode.

(I don't have shared folders)

using ESS v4.0.437.0

In fact all my programs seem to be working ok.
    (I turned of UAC though because I don't like it)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  15. JB2007

JB2007 Registered Member

My experience:

Machine 1: Clean install of Windows 7 32 bit RTM.
    Machine 2: Upgrade from Vista Business 32 bit to Windows 7 32 bit RTM.

ESET Smart Security V4.0.437.0 on both machines.

Local network with all machines on a single workgroup.

Windows 7 network type: "Work".

On both machines, shared folders are not reliably available to other computers on the workgroup (including XP machines). Sometimes (rarely) they are visible immediately after booting, othertimes not for hours. Sometimes fiddling with the advanced network options (e.g. public folders) speeds up the process.

Disabling ESET firewall makes the shared folders visible immediately.

Enabling "Windows Firewall" does not cause the problem to recur.

The machine that was upgraded from Vista worked correctly with the same version of ESET SS before the upgrade.

JB.

16. ashoktvm

ashoktvm Registered Member

I tried using ESS and eset antivirus 4 latest version in a fresh install of windows 7. But the memory leak problem is occurring all the time. I have to restart the system. Memory leak is causing my system to respond really slowly. What should i do. Please help me

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The firewall seems to block machines from accessing each other on a LAN. Turning the firewall off allows it to work. Currently running NOD32 (using Windows Firewall). No problems I have found yet.

18. fliplip

fliplip Registered Member

Hi Guys.
    Im a long time user of NOD32 /ESET SS and have been using W7 since feb.
    Ive been doing upgrade's through various builds of W7 on my home PC and i did have a big problem with SSv4, or rather the firewall.
    Ive also done clean installs on other PC's with the same issue so its not confined to upgrades only.
    After doing a lot of searching someone came up with a solution and for me, at lest, this has fixed both my upgraded install and all clean installs since.
    Hope it helps.
    This has been cut and pasted from another forum.

1. Switch to Advanced Mode by clicking Toggle Advanced mode in the lower left corner of the main window.
    2. Click on Setup tab > Personal firewall > Advanced Personal firewall setup and make sure the filtering mode is set to Interactive mode.
    3. Go to Rules and zones and click Setup under Trusted zone and make sure that Allow Sharing is checked. ClickSetup under Zone and rule editor and click on Toggle detailed view of all rules
    4. Uncheck the two following default rules; Block Incoming NETBIOS Requests and Block Outgoing NETBIOS Requests
    5. Now create those two same exact rules again using any name of your choice by clicking New with the only difference that under Address you should only have Networks automatically marked as untrusted NOT All.

Dave.

19. TheIgster

Tried that Fliplip. I'm assuming you are talking about sharing issues with Windows 7?

It didn't work for me.

20. fliplip

fliplip Registered Member

Well the funny thing is it its more for the network issue but it also seemed to fix the Firewall not working. Could have been a coincidence though.

21. E-Buzz

E-Buzz Registered Member

I followed your advices in the above post, except for skipping part 5. All of a sudden it seems that the LAN connection between Windows 7 x64<>Vista Ultimate x64 works 100%. I will have to do more checks, but the shared folders aswell as the shared printer on the Windows 7 box is reachable even after several reboots.

But.....how does this method affect the protection from the firewall? I´m behind a router with a SPI firewall and only a few ports open so i feel somewhat pretty well protected, but better safe than sorry :D

22. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

The same for me. Everything seems to be working right. The only differences are I do have shared folders and I left UAC turned on. Also I'm using the RC v7100.

There was an issue with printer drivers since my host machine is x64 and the other is x86. I was able to install the driver off the software disk and it works fine now.

ESS v4 is doing everything just right. In July I bought my third subscription for it.

Man do I ever like Windows 7.

23. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

A new firewall module (build 1052) is being distributed to those with "Test mode" enabled in the update setup. It adds support for Windows 7 homegroups (configurable in the IDS section of the firewall setup).

24. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

thanks eset team and marcos:thumb:

Attached Files:

25. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In addition to Windows 7 support, the new firewall module introduces 2 new features configurable in the Zone setup:
    1, Addresses excluded from active protection (IDS)
    Here you can add IP addresses of devices with unusual behavior that produce attacks, but generally are trusted. We've seen port scan attacks from certain router brands or printers whose communication used to be evaluated as an attack and was blocked.

2, Addresses allowed to receive a notification about the unavailability of TCP/UDP ports
    IP addresses listed here will receive an RST if connection at the attempted port is blocked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.