Windows 7 Upgrade Program:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wtsinnc, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

They are really desperate with Vista ...
    Mrk

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It just proves what competition can do. Everyone should be rooting for Linux/BSD/Solaris/Mac, and demanding free and open formats, standards, very limited use of patents / no patents.

It doesn't matter if you're planning to rent MS software for life or not, you gain from competition.

4. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So if I understand this correctly, someone who just received a pc for Christmas would have to purchase a 7 upgrade, correct? I feel bad for those who purchased machines since Vista came out just to have Vista. I have it on a laptop, but Vista had nothing to do with that purchase.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't think it is about Vista alone. IMO the current downturn in the financial world is spreading panic among big corporations, people aren't buying anything out of fear (people with jobs still have the same money) so novelties and incentives (I should think that computers will be cheaper soon) are probably the best way to stimulate the market.

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Amd does anyone know how much Windows 7 will cost when released o_O I remember that Vista ultimate was $799AUD for a Retail Full Version here in Australia :gack:

7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello (again);

I started this thread and was going to add in my initial comments speculation about the price.

As others, I recall the frenzied introduction of Vista almost two years ago and don't believe "7" can possibly command comparable prices because of the overall world economy, a "once bitten-twice shy" mentality of those who have been disappointed by Vista, and the fact that Windows 7 is- in so many words- a Vista upgrade, not a totally new OS.

I also believe that among other reasons for a public beta are the need for real-world feedback and also to get a feel for the level of public enthusiasm for this release on which Microsoft will, along with other factors, base their price structure.

I will download the public beta and am very appreciative for the opportunity to test drive 7, but unless it truly represents a major leap forward in performance and functionality on my computer (vs. XP and Vista), I can't see myself buying it.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I love Vista, and I'm sure Windows 7 will add to it. One thing is to buy a computer with the latest OS available from Windows, and another is to pay for an upgrade that could cost half the price of a new computer.

9. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

They couldn't develop a full featured medium-cost OS, they had to make 4 editions again, could they?:cautious:
    They should LEARN from the competition.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hope you dont become a apple fanboy lol
    i hope they learn from linux and freebsd.

11. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I agree with you; they could just provide one edition that has it all. Makes everything more simple.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree tbh one version would be better.
    just have like set defaults like "home user"
    "business user" etc
    also have a complete custom option to select whatever you want and dont want.

13. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Well I guess it's sort of inevitable.:D
    No really, there are too many editions, and usually the full-one is overpriced.

14. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Yeah, the version that has it all (aka "Ultimate") is overpriced. I know it is expensive to develop software, especially operating systems; however, they could at least lower down the price a bit. Lucky for me, I can get it for free when they release it via my university's MSDN program. Ah... one of the perks of being a computer science student. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.