Windows 7 UAC

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by xxJackxx, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm not sure if this is an issue with the current build of Firefox or a Windows issue. I just downloaded Firefox build 3.6.13 and went to update my users. They are not admins. One of them started the update and normally when UAC prompts I enter an Admin username and password to allow it to continue. If you don't do it within the timeout period it usually just cancels out. However, this time that did not happen. The UAC prompt disappeared and the update proceeded to run anyway. He is updated and I never approved it. I am concerned that there is a flaw in UAC. Is anyone else able to reproduce this?

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

What type of installer is Firefox executable? If it's a Windows installer (*.msp), then considering Firefox has already been installed, then the patch is able to update.

I've noticed this with the previous version of Adobe Reader 9, with one of the latest updates I manually applied.

I'm not sure if it only affects this type of installer, or if it is a bug, but I witnessed this behavior, with this type on installer.

What you can do, considering you're using SRP, would be to add extension *.msp.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The file is named "Firefox Setup 3.6.13.exe". This is the first time I have encountered this. We even tried to run it again and when we clicked "No" on the UAC prompt, it still ran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.