Windows 7 security software providers - No Eset

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Cudni, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

2. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

Obviously they didn't pay Microsoft enough ;)

3. smalar

smalar Registered Member

<using Windows 7 RC and ESET SS and it works like a charm.

I'm the same opinion like psychokilla,
    to be on Microsofts list (partner programs) you have to pay...

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. bseos

bseos Registered Member

i believe their not on it because of the firewall/network issues eset smart security has with windows 7.

6. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Agreed. :thumb:

I've been talking with tech support here, but to date have had no luck and they really haven't had any suggestions at all. When I can get it working, they basically had no idea how it got working. Earlier today I could not access a shared folder on my network, currently I can. No rhyme or reason to it at all.

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET is listed on the Windows XP and Windows Vista versions of the page.

I believe that being listed as a security provider involves signing some legal documents.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. bseos

bseos Registered Member

Yes i absolutely know what you mean, i have been using Eset Smart Security on Windows 7 since the first beta build was made available all through to the RC.

The connectivity issues seem quite random, where i am unable to connect to a computer using its "computer name" (ex. //test-pc), sometimes entering the direct ip and share seems to work (ex. //192.169.1.61/i%), and other times the networked addresses give no replys and timeout when trying to ping them. When this occurs, the only way to get access to your network is to turn your firewall component off.

Yes, but for eset to sign the document, it must first actually "BE" compatible with windows 7, and with my experiences, it isnt.
    Sure, the anti-virus/anti-spam components and all that are working fine for me, but the firewall is causing network connectivity blackouts when ever it feels like it, where you cannot connect to any other networked devices.
    Internet and access to the router are fine though.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  9. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

I seriously doubt MS need ESET's money.

ESET should get ESS working 100% in Vista SP2 before they bother about Windows 7 which Joe Public will not have till Oct.

The FW issues seem to have gotten he slow browsing issue caused by the Web/Http protection brushed under the rug.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Micrsoft needs everybodys money. They've posted one of the worst profit years in their history. A lot is riding on Windows 7.

11. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

That's because we are in a recession, 1st time they made a loss and it will not kill, them off.

FYI, MS make more money from Office than from Windows due to Corp market licenses.

12. evildust

evildust Registered Member

I'll have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM tomorrow (gift from Microsoft to beta testers) and I must do a choice for the better antivirus software certified Windows 7. I'm a little bit disappointed that a bad software like Norton is ready to Windows 7 but not Eset...

13. agoretsky

14. TheIgster

Again, the firewall portion of ESS does not work properly with Windows 7.

ESET support staff have said as much.

Nod32 works fine.

The firewall? Not so much.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The existence of such a web page (This page) from Microsoft is good thing to start with BUT we must note what is actually inside - a list of few big vendors and known names . Sounds reputable at first .

But look closer . Clicking Norton or AVG - we see final product ready (for Norton an update for v2009 , or the beta 2010 - the beta is unacceptable , however . Reason - it is BETA)

Clicking Kaspersky , F-Secure , McAfee , Panda - we actually see that they are NOT Windows 7 compatiable (100%) . We actually see BETA versions and quite a lot of "important notes" that it is Win7 experimental support , non-final version , RC or beta versions .

This is unprofessional and a big lie. A BETA version of a product cannot be a 100% compatiable with the OS mentioned . As Windows 7 hasn't also been released for the public , this gives any vendor of any kind of software to prepare their product . ESET products are as compatiable with Windows 7 as is Panda , Kaspersky , F-Secure and McAfee.

16. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Totally agreed.
    Indeed many applications and even drivers are compatible with 7 because are compatible with Vista too and technically speaking 7 (NT 6.1) kernel isn't so different from the Vista one (NT 6.0).
    In XP - Vista migration the situation was totally different.
    ESS works OK in my setup (7) without major issues.

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESET works fine with Windows 7 and will be added to the list some time soon.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Two off topic posts removed.

19. TheIgster

Does no one read other posts here?

ESET Nod32 yes, ESS (Smart Security), the firewall does not work with Windows 7. Shared folders are not accessible as they should be.

Oh well, guess no one listens to people actually trying to run it. Numerous people on the Windows 7 forum have had the exact same sharing problems.

I would love to help solve the issue. Support is not interested in working with me.

20. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

File sharing should work if you enable learning mode for a while until the necessary rules are created. Some additional default rules will be added in future builds and also distributed to existing users with a firewall module update. Keep in mind that Windows 7 has not been released yet officially.

21. TheIgster

I've tried that. The only way for it to always allow access is to disable the firewall competely.

I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling and ensuring during the install that it is set to learning mode right off the bat. Still no luck.

Until it can get sorted out and work as needed, I am only running Nod32 and a different firewall.

22. rony474

rony474 Registered Member

windows7 7600 x 64 ultimate.. wokring without problems av + firewall ..
    2 days of testing .. satisfied .. no lags or problems with browsers .
    btw the providers which are listed there - symantec didn't passed virus bulletin and kaspersky firewall in 2010 KIS or win7 tech preview blocking any umts connection..

23. agoretsky

24. TheIgster

Unfortunately, ESS still doesn't work properly in Windows 7 with shared folders though. So the listing doesn't mean much really.

25. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.