Windows 7 RC feature

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    I finally got around to testing out windows 7 RC today.
    all my programs work with it.
    I have found a feature that I haven't read about anywhere.
    if you right click the sound icon in the system tray and click on playback devices,recording devices or sounds you will notice a new tab called communications. It is used to automatically mute other devices when you get a phone call from a VOIP program such as skype,wlm etc. it also does the same if you ring someone.
    the default is lower all other volumes by 80percent.
    a nice feature I think.

I thought windows 7 beta was decent but the RC is better and even faster.
    installers complete near instantly.
    file transfers are fast as well.
    it really is like vista should of been when it came out.

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I really like it too, seems quite good, but from what I've seen, the prices will be pretty steep. Too high for me in fact, just in principle. There is just no way I am going to pay $300+ for Ultimate. So it's back to Vista x64 for me. Vista works fine for the most part, and while 7 is better, it's not $300 worth better IMO.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Do you really need ultimate?
    Pro comes with everything home premium does plus business stuff.
    according to what I have read ultimate wont be sold as widely as vista ultimate was. the focus will be home premium and pro.
    I will probaly get pro myself.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm also impressed with it, noticeably faster than Vista, lighter, and I'm sure by the time it is officially released, it's going to be even better. I 'm also interested to see if Vista's next service pack will address some of its the current criticism, as the improvement seen with Win 7 is going to be welcome on a new machine,
    but I personally won't be paying 300 dollars (as mentioned by Kerodo) to get it.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, Ultimate is what we all get to play with and get used to for the next year in the RC, so there's that to consider. I could go with Pro or probably even Premium, but the prices I saw for those aren't much better. I saw mention of $259 for Premium. IMO, that's still just too much.

I guess the only way I'll make the changeover is if I buy a new PC with 7 on it (not likely as this one is less than a year old), or if MS somehow offers a special deal to existing Vista owners when 7 is released.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

is that retail or oem pricing?

I will probaly get oem which is much cheaper and hopefully around £80 for pro.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't know too much, but I would assume retail. I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. If MS offers an upgrade to exising Vista users for a reasonable price, I will probably go for it. But for now, I'm sticking with Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.