[Windows 7] Not recognizing non-English words/characters

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Jun 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Note: For diagnosis purposes I'm referring to Program Files in our language as being "Programs".

So far I haven't come across anything useful, so I'm hoping someone may point me in the right direction.

A relative of mine came to me complaining issues with Windows 7. I had installed Chromium recently in this relative's computer, and I saved the program in Program Files.

Considering that my relative does not use the English version of Windows, Program Files is worded differently, obviously.

I had created different Chromium profiles (under "Programs"), one of them containing letters that are not part of the English vocabulary.

When running one of the Chromium shortcuts I had placed at the Desktop, my relative noticed an error saying the path did not exist. It did and it does exist, though.

Apparently, when creating a folder under "Programs", my relative made a mistake and created another "Programs" folder under C:\.

Windows automatically protected the main "Programs", making it now be Program Files. So, now Windows only accepts English words*. What used to be "Programs" is now Program Files.

* Or better yet, only accepts English letters.

If I go to C:\, I see the folder "Programs", but Windows does no longer recognize it as such. Windows recognizes it as Program Files.

Does anyone have a clue of how to make it accept our language again?

I verified the keyboard language and all that, and it's our language.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.