Windows 7 market share still growing despite...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Seven64, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

In my own opinion, I think it just shows that both businesses and consumers upgrade when they feel it's necessary and financially suitable. I think it also shows that lack of media enthusiasm and negative reviews by users will get more attention from prospective buyers than any amount of multimillion dollar advertising campaigns ever will. There is also the issue of supported software. For a while, it seemed like Windows 8 support was very lacking, especially with security choices. That may have changed a great deal by now, but I'm not certain as I don't use Windows 8.

It seems to me like Windows adoption has nearly always been a slow process.

4. biased

biased Registered Member

Like is all life, without reason to do, why do? Applications to any things, toaster to auto to suit to computer.

Case to point, many might now be use of the win7, and after some time see it is being better than xp. Same for win8. Some on xp still not seeing reason, even after end of life. EOL meaning what, that product not going to work for one persons needings? Only that user say what is working any more or not.

It all that same way, need not marketing saying to get new things if not needing. Driving economical pattern is new, get new. Is way of the business, but business maybe not always see many buy when need as want is not on income level haha.

5. Daveski17

All MS have to do with Win 9 is make a version that works like a desktop on a desktop & like a touchscreen tablet on a touchscreen tablet. That & maybe bring back aeroglass & the Start Button (for the desktop) & it will sell like hot cakes. ;)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

But they probably won't... I have heard rumors that Win 9 will move in the direction of a full cloud OS, whatever that means... :)

7. Dave0291

What that could mean is that user data is about to become a whole lot less safe. I am in no fathomable way qualified to present any opinion on that as facts, but it doesn't sound like a very favorable scenario to me.

Daveski, I believe that Microsoft has things just the way they want them and won't turn back the clock. They don't seem to believe in separate markets anymore, only in unification.

8. Daveski17

Well, I was being a tad ironic ;). I'm not so sure those rumours have any basis though.

9. Daveski17

It certainly looks that way. I'm not so sure that most people are ready to commit an entire OS to the cloud though. I use Maxthon a lot & can keep virtually all of my browser settings/customisations in their cloud. That seems great for synching across multiple platforms ... well until their servers are down. Luckily I can sign out in that case & revert back to local settings. I can see the advantages with a browser, I don't really see it with an entire OS. There again, I predicted that the Spice Girls wouldn't sell any records, so what do I know? LOL

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Captain Obvious at work, did I not say so, I did ...
    Mrk

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

amost every laptop are bundle with w8 w8.1 , they cost less then windows 7

12. Dave0291

Daveski17, if we take Chromebooks into consideration, Microsoft may not be so crazy. Then again, I'm not certain if those devices are selling all that well. I know that I am not ready to leave everything to the cloud. To do that, I'd have to have near unshakeable faith in a company. That is something, given the current state of policy and security, I just do not have. As far as the Spice Girls are concerned, well, perhaps you simply underestimated humanity and its ability to be entertained by nearly anything. Even if that includes five British girls warning Venus they'd be coming soon and G forces with a zoom. :D Carl Sagan must have weeped within his tomb.

There is no telling what Windows 9 or later will bring though. For now, I'm quite satisfied with my experience on Windows 7.

13. Daveski17

Which actually is surprising when you think about it.

14. Daveski17

I'm not sure which demographic they actually appeal to. They might be fine for posting things on social media, reading the papers & watching Spice Girls videos on YouTube. Not unlike a tablet I should imagine.

I am pretty sure most people are not yet willing to commit totally to the cloud. At least Girls Aloud had the Geordie singer Cheryl Cole. I even like one of their tracks. ;)

MS will have to try very hard to 'top' Win 7 IMO.

15. Dave0291

I'm not all that sure Windows 7 can be topped. I feel as though we're coming to the end of an era with Windows. It will not likely look or act the same again.

16. Daveski17

I have a feeling that you are right about this.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, this is pretty much what I believe also...

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i find Windows 8.1 as good or better than Win 7.

if we exclude Metro. ;)
    which is a little easier to deal with in 8.1

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is true, 8.1 is an improvement IMO... I kinda like it too. But, I'll still choose a traditional 7 over 8.1 for now. Maybe things will get better somehow in the future. I'll wait and see..

20. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Win 8 adoption is at about the same as Vista was comparing relative time frames after release, the last time I looked. Win 7 had more than double that of either of those two OS's in the same relative period.

Speaking of Win 7 growth, the Steam Hardware & Software Survey shows a net gain for Win 7 usage share for November. I think there was an increase in October too, but don't quote me on that.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I recently made the decision of which to upgrade to when XP's EOL comes, and chose 7. And thinking of my rationale, I believe it applies to the basic "every man" out there. So many people love(d) XP. To me 7 looked like it would give me an experience much closer to that than 8 would... which just looked completely different, impractical even. Most of these people are moving on from XP these days, and not Vista I'd wager, due to XP's looming EOL and popularity. And 7 won't bring nearly the learning curve along with it that 8 will since it's very much like XP. I was pleased to see how similar it was and it sold me on what my choice would be.

Also I saw that Windows 7's EOL is just as long as 8's (2020). That made the decision even easier, knowing it wouldn't become obsolete sooner than 8 would, + flat out liking it much better. It made the decision easy.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.