Windows 7 Libraries feature - how do you use it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I know, for many people it's time to move on to Windows 8.

Personally, I am quite contented with Win 7 and I think I will stay put for a while. One feature of 7 which I have often felt has unexplored potential - and I am talking about the use I am (not) making of it - is the Libraries feature.

I would like to have another go at it, so if you use it and find it convenient, I would appreciate some real life examples of ways in which you are using them to your advantage.

thanks!

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I've never played with it and don't know anyone personally who has.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I used to use them on my desktop pc to link or combine files on multiple drives into one "library" folder. Don't use it anymore though... desktop died, now using laptop with just one drive...

4. newbino

Well, the first posts are not very encouraging ... I wonder if there is somebody that makes good use of them

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

beside kerodo, not too many i think.

i was never able to find a use for them...

6. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

newbino,

Have you read this?

TS

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Well, I have customized (and took note of these customizations) my Libraries and Windows Explorer Navigation Favorites to match the right folders. I find it easier to navigate to my data using Libraries, Windows Explorer Navigation Favorites or simply searching at the Start Menu, instead of digging in the specific folders (although sometimes I also use Q-Dir Portable and its Quadro-View technique helps with that), because I save most of my data on different folders of different partition and SkyDrive folder, not the "default" ones. As for shortcuts, I have different folders with the most common ones that I use on Taskbar, Start Menu and Desktop, and I also save, categorize and separate shortcuts for portable software from shortcuts for installed software.

All in all, my data is well organized and Libraries help in easily accessing it (although they certainly aren't an essential feature for my common usage scenarios).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Libraries probably won't be a lot of help if you're diligent about file management and you're comfortable walking through Explorer, but the average user isn't and ends up with files of the same type scattered across multiple directories; that's where Libraries are helpful.

My mom, for example, tends to save documents to whatever the app defaults to, so libraries are useful on her computer.

If you keep files of one type (documents, media, etc.) in different directories then it could also be helpful, as Wild Hunter points out.

9. newbino

Thanks to everybody for theirs posts

@The Shadow appreciated the link, in fact I had already gone through it and several similar

I have well organized data and not unlike Wild Hinter I have customized Windows Explorer Navigation Favorites and xplorer2 -to reflect it.

I guess that unless something new comes up I'll probably just disable them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.