Windows 7 lets you remove Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

I've made a quick search for similar topics, could not find them. If there are existing threads, then please merge.

Anyhow ...

For the first time in its history, Microsoft finally has a browser that may actually be worth keeping. And for the first time, Microsoft lets you not have it. Yes, you've read it right: for the first time, you can remove Internet Explorer from your Windows installation, permanently.

This article shows you how this can be done - and why you should not do it.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-ie8-remove.html

Have fun,
    Mrk

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    FYI all the versions of windows 7 that will come out in Europe dont come with IE8. oem's like dell can install it if they which to.]
    so im assuimg it wont break other third party apps. if it does then alot of people in europe will be pissed off at MS.
    you can download it from MS or have them ship you a cd.

as far i am aware all removing IE8 does is remove the IE .exe files from program files and the refrences to them which is around 5mb.
    im hoping that this move will make people aware that there are other browsers avaliable. i also hope more web devolopers will support other browsers.

3. Mrkvonic

I hope that the uninstall does not unregister or dereference DLLs.
    That's what I find possibly problematic.

If this is just removing the executable and updating search paths ... then good.

Still, I wonder how applications will cope with this. For instance, Antivir pops their daily spam in a page that of course open IE, so I guess it's a combination of hta and some other devilry. What if there is no IE, what then?

Mrk

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I agree with those sentiments.
    I didn't like the idea of not being able to unistall the older versions, but IE8 is worth keeping.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, indeed. I'm already expecting Windows 7 buyers to start Windows 7 and access the Internet, only to:

WTF! Where's my Internet?!!!

Calls Microsoft and demands:

- Refund now!!!!!

Microsoft answers:

Go ask it to European Commission. :D They did it. You don't like it, complain to them.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thing is most users who dont know about computers will buy a computer from an Oem and they will ship with a browser. anyone who builds there own machines should know about browsers and know to download a browser using another machine.

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

I don't have Vista handy atm (I killed the hog) but here is a screenshot from XP -

ie-xp.jpg

I uninstalled it, the result is the same.
    What am I missing?

8. Mrkvonic

To the best of my knowledge, that one leaves all its DLLs in the system, plus on XP, Windows update goes through IE, so you remove it, you make Windows update difficult at the least.

I'll make a few more checks and let you know.

Mrk

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi Mrk.

Internet Explorer was always removable from Windows installations, or at least it looked like it was. Now on second check, you are correct, all that is actually removed are shortcuts. Executable and libraries are still there - at least, that is the case on XP -

fingerprint.jpg

Internet Explorer entry is also deleted from the 'prefetch' folder during this procedure.
    Now, what The Link says on IE8 removal:

so they at least allowed the executable to be deleted. Not really a removal, I'd say, but a step closer. Seems like IE is still rooted deep in the OS. I will surely look more into this when and if I ever install 7.

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.