Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit & IRQ Sharing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just upgraded one of my PC's with a new Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I installed a PCI Multimedia Card in one of the three available PCI slots. When I loaded the drivers for the PCI Multimedia Card, the Window's Device Manager stated that the device could not start.

I read on the PCI Multimedia Card Manufacturer's website that if that happens try moving it to a different PCI slot to see if the problem is still there. I moved the PCI Multimedia Card to a another PCI slot and the problem went away.

I thought that I read somewhere that Windows Vista and later eliminated such conflicts.

Please comment.

I want to make sure that the new motherboard is not defective. Other than this PCI slot issue, the motherboard seems to be stable and fast.

Note: The PCI Multimedia Card is certified by Microsoft to be Windows 7 32 bit & 64 bit compatible.

Thanks in Advance.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If there is a conflict it is likely truly hardware and not software. If you found a slot it works in, I would call it good. If it was trying to share circuits on the board with other resource intensive devices, it can still cause problems. If you try to plug a sound card into a slot that for example that shares the same PCI lanes as a RAID controller, it will cause too much latency.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.