Windows 7 Firewall problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by k4ll1, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k4ll1

k4ll1 Registered Member

So my problem is the Windows 7 Firewall does not inform me when a new program is being blocked. I can only manually set the rules on WF.msc, because i don't have any fw's pop-ups :(. Do you know why is that? How can i turn on fw's pop-ups?

I have set "Notify me when Windows Firewall blocks a new program", "Block all incoming connections, including those in the list of allowed programs", "Outbound connections that do not match are blocked" and i have the public network active.

Btw, sorry for my poor English and my language's mistakes.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Hey! The Windows firewall does not give any pop-ups regarding outbound connections. It either blocks them silently if you have outbound filtering on, or allows them if you haven't. Are you sure you are testing something that requires inbound connections? Not that many programs do. If you run a program like uTorrent or DC++, the Windows firewall should produce a pop-up telling you it wants to accept incoming connections, but not all programs require incoming traffic, a browser for example.

3. k4ll1

k4ll1 Registered Member

Thx for reply. I didn't know that Windows Firewall does not give any pop-ups regarding outbound connections. Hmmm... not good, not comfortable for me, because i don't know when a program will want to connect :/

I prefer block all incoming connections, because i don't use programs like uTorrent or DC++ or seldom. Im not sure, but many people say this is a more secure setting.

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

You are correct to block all incoming. In any rare case you did need WFW would ask permission.

On outbound the real challenge you need to create rules allowing www connections ONLY for those programs that need it. The 2 easiest examples are email and browsers.

There is a product called:

Windows7FirewallControlPlus you can try that helps create rules for w7 FW.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Windows (7) Firewall has only the option for default "block" or "allow"
    (allow is install default, need manual switch to "block")

Windows7FirewallControl (+Plus) uses the WFP Windows Filtering Plattform
    to catch events - but uses its own settings, not the WinWall.

Unfortunately W7FC blocks by default - for complete session.
    You need to restart the app to use rules.

any other firewall program you like?

6. k4ll1

k4ll1 Registered Member

Guys, i don't know what a firewall should I choose instead of W7FW. I looking for a firewall without HIPS, because i work on stadard user account, DEP for all programs, UAC on max and i think i don't need that, and the firewall should be for free. Do you have any ideas?

7. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The only pure firewalls for 7 are Windows Firewall and Look n Stop.

You can use the free portable version of Windows 7 Firewall Control 3.x to help you identify your programs that need network connection and then you can create the appropriate rules on you windows firewall (Windows Firewall Control 1.6 can help you get started wiht the creation of the rules).

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.