Windows 7 /ESET *Help*

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by SideSkroll, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SideSkroll

SideSkroll Registered Member

Hello everyone, let me start off by saying that NOD32 is BY FAR the best AV solution I've tried so far (and believe me, I've tried them all! or most of them at least...)
    I was wondering if someone with experience could help me out with a couple of questions regarding this product.
    I personally consider that version 2.7 is the best version so far. It uses very little resources and is a "straight forward" AV solution. So I've been using it for a long time now and I recommend it to anyone who asks me for a good AV (I work with computers/servers). I used it in XP (32 BITS) and when I moved to Vista 64 bits I kept using it. now that I'm thinking to migrate to Windows 7 (cause to be honest, Vista was never my cup of tea) I find myself surprised by the lack of support for that OS. Windows 7 Is basically Vista's service pack 3, so it SHOULD work, right? Well, I haven't found any info regarding that anywhere... And I would really like to avoid "upgrading" to version 4 because when I tried it, It felt more sluggish without mentioning the change in the programs command line options... Anyway, my questions would be these:

1- v2.70.39 / Can I use NOD32 v2.70.39 on Windows 7 *64 bits? Will it be supported in the future? (I remember needing Service pack 2 in Vista for the AV to be recognized)

2- v4.0.467 / Is there a "tutorial" for version 4 like the ones from Blackspear? (I was under the impression that v3 settings were the same as v4, but I tried his Windows Live Messenger file scanning settings and they don't work, It just displays the CMD window and stays there (I guess its because the " /auto" switch, which, if I understand correctly,performs a full scan on the PC) So I took it out... But now I'm not sure if it's working correctly so I would like to double check (I've followed BlackSpear's guides since version 2).

3- v4.0.467 / Seeing as version 4 has "antispyware and antimalware" included. Should I uninstall Spybot SD and Spywareblaster from my computer? I know version 2.7 supposedly had those features as well, so there should be no incompatibilities or anything. But it never hurts to check.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

As a long term user of NOD32 myself, I have to say that I don't find Version 4 to be sluggish in the slightest - depends to a degree on the machine you are running it on of course. It's still significantly lighter on machine resources than many of the 'big name' competitive security solutions, and seems not to be so invasive at an operating system level. The current version is highly effective (in tests that I have run for viruses and spyware) and runs smoothly on Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit here).

MY OPINION ONLY:

Spybot & SpywareBlaster - I've used them both, extensively. I wouldn't use them now - I believe the ideas & technology in both are now somewhat 'outdated' and again, my preferred tool as a backup anti-malware scanner is the free version of Malwarebytes.

Hope that helps in some small way.

3. SideSkroll

Hi, and thanks for your rapid response. I didn't say that version 4 was "bad" or even really "sluggish" what I meant was that it is in fact, slower than version 2.7 (it is to be expected cause of the GUI face lifting and stuff) So it is not like there's a WHOLE world of difference but I really don't get why would they want to take away what made ESET the preferred AV solution in the first place (low footprint). By the way, no arguing here about the competition... Thats why I went with ESET in the first place :D

About Spybot and SpywareBlaster, I don't use them as a scanner. I use them mainly for their immunization features. With that said, when and IF I have to upgrade to version 4, would I be able to keep em? Or will they cause some sort of incompatibility with EAV? (Although their immunization features are supposedly passive, so they shouldn't collide with any other security solution) I don't use Tea-Timer or the other active protection on Spybot (can't remember the name...) cause I feel its somewhat overkill...

Last but not least: Have you tried version 2.7 on Windows 7? Did it worked? I would love to be able to keep my dear ol' v2.70 with me :(

4. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

ESET NOD32 Antivirus System 2.7 - Overview

"ESET NOD32 Antivirus is a multiple platform, award-winning, standalone 32-bit antivirus system with an easy-to-use graphical user interface for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, XP, Vista and 7. Also available for DOS, Novell Netware (server), Lotus Domino, Linux mail and file servers (Linux, RedHat, Mandriva, SuSE, Debian, OpenBSD,...) on the x86 platform."

I know it works in Vista, never tried it in 7 myself, but as you say 7 is pretty much Vista SP3 so it should do fine.

5. GeoffV

GeoffV Registered Member

6. SideSkroll

GREAT news! But... what about 64 bits? :( Is it officially supported as well?
    Thanks for your replies.-

7. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Yes you can install V2.7 on 64bits Operating Systems.

8. SideSkroll

Yeah, I know. up to Vista but as the KB is referring to the 32 bit versions I thought it MIGHT work with 7 32 but not 64...
    I read somewhere that version 2.7 was having some issues with W7 64 bit... I would like to know prior to upgrading because I always prefer to have a clean install instead of upgrading from version 2.7 to 4...

9. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Uhm I dont know, didnt see anything on the forums regarding V2.7 and Win7 x64. I assumed it works cause I seen people saying it works in Vista X64

10. SideSkroll

Yes. And I'm one of them :D. It works perfectly (although At least for me, it was necessary to get SP2 before it would get recognized by the security center as being active and reporting correctly)
    Thats why i was asking that perhaps it could be supported in the future with some upgrade, or that maybe ESET could contact microsoft to give them the "how to" for compatibility issues... There's a LOT of people wanting to keep version 2.7 as their security solution... So it would only make sense.

11. SideSkroll

Thanks for your reply GeoffV. Yes, I know that version 4 is FULLY supported. My inquiry is about version 2.70 though...
    Thanks.

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

1 - yes you can... but... read the comments in this subforum about 2.7 and vista/win7 -> not recommended

2 - tut for v3 and v4 are nearly comparable

3 - drop the spy*crap - improve security between monitor and chair

Eset is kidding? lol
    v2 and v3/4 is not comparable - v3/4 uses another and more performant proxy
    engine which is also less vulnerable. i wont use v2 higher than xp.

The comment from "siljaline" concerns the ESS (another forum), not the EAV (this forum) ...!

14. SideSkroll

Well, I've used 2.7 in Vista for a long time now and haven't seen any issues whatsoever...

Comparable? Maybe. Windows Live Messenger settings don't work though...

What makes you think that I don't have any idea about how to protect my computer? By the way, that "spy*crap" has proven itself good over the years.. SO even IF I uninstall it eventually I don't have any complains performance wise...

Well, it works for ME and for a lot of other people... So maybe it's a just a matter of taste? I personally prefer version 2.7. It gives you more control over your AV solution. For starters you can actually SEE what is being scanned at the moment....

Not only that but it has noting to do with what I asked in the first place. A company will always try to push for their newer versions to be used even though the old ones might be better designed and implemented. To me, version 2.7 works perfectly and I really like the simple, yet complete GUI. I don't like that "Symantec" look they've given to their newer versions...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  15. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Please dont ask again about differences between v2 and v3/4.
    You got them already - your choice - your fortune.
    Man - i work with ONE av security for the last 20 years
    (and additional pd-firewall since 10 years) - the only reason i
    got never some issue is that big thing in my head - not the value
    of any other 3rd party crap. i call them crap because they cause
    much more trouble in the past than usage (i read many forums).
    nothing is perfect - even eset can fail - but eset is one of the bigger
    players vs spybot and ...blaster.
    last famous words: "yes, i can handle that virus/trojan..." :D

16. SideSkroll

Hi, thanks for responding. Well, I think you misunderstood the whole point of my post. I wasn't asking for advise on the differences between both versions.I was asking if version 2.70 was SUPPORTED in Windows 7.
    spybot and Blaster have nothing in common with ESET. Their passive solution is to simply BLOCK any site that might harm the PC. Not to "protect" by ay kind of resident active shield... (Well, if you consider tea timer a "protection" it's entirely up to you...) So TBH, I consider them to be a great addition to an already great security solution.
    Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.