Windows 7 BSOD - win32k.sys

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by GideonD, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

A few months ago I did an upgrade install of Win7 x64 over Vist x64. Normally I would do a clean install but this system was only in operation for about 4 months with Vista and very lean on programing. No errors were ever present under Vista. I did the upgrade after checking the Upgrade Adviser for possible problems. After a smooth upgrade I had a few errors related to drivers that the Adviser said were fine, but which obviously weren't. I updated all drivers to the latest Win7 x64 versions and most of my issues disappeared.

One issue keeps nagging me though. Occasionally I get a BSOD and it always relates to win32k.sys. This seems to be so generic that almost anything could cause it so I'm having trouble finding a solution to this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm attaching all the files that you should need for analysis in one zip archive. If anything else is needed please let me know.

Thanks

Since I can't upload the zip file here I'll link to it on my own forum.
    http://poppameth.freeforums.org/windows-7-bsod-win32k-sys-t64.html

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

from .dmp file you posted. Your guess is as good as any, start checking ram, hd, make sure you have the latest drivers
    CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: csrss.exe

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 8

SYMBOL_NAME: win32k!StartDeviceRead+1df

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: win32k

IMAGE_NAME: win32k.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 4a5bc5e0

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x1E_c0000005_win32k!StartDeviceRead+1df

3. GideonD

Yep, done extensive testing on those areas already. This will drive me crazy. This is one computer I really can't have crashing randomly. I hate having to do a complete clean install for something like this but it looks like there is no other option.

Thanks.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're not running an antivirus?

5. GideonD

NOD32 installed and fully updated. I did do an upgrade from the older version to the newest on the same day that I did the dumps so I'd assume any error related to no A/V being present is from the time between removal of the old and installation of the new.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.