Windows 7 and TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Amanda, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Before installing Windows, I create two partitions in gparted: one for the OS and installed programs/games, and another for backup and general documents files.
    I noticed that when creating partitions from the Windows DVD it creates a 100 MB partition that is of the type "system".

If I create these partitions and allow Windows to create that 100 MB partition, what is the advantage from a security perspective? When I select "Encrypt System Partition" on TrueCrypt, will it encrypt the 100 MB partition as well?

2. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

It will not encrypt the 100mb partition:

http://i.imgur.com/RCpmg4r.jpg?1

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Valeu :)

But is the OS gonna be OK if I encrypt that partition later?

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

hahahaha, I always enjoy your posts about Linux, good to know that you are from here!

I do not know, actually I do not know what the purpose of this partition, my system encryption is aimed to protect against theft or something, so I saw no reason to worry about that partition.

Searching in Portuguese I found this site: http://www.guiadopc.com.br/dicas/36925/e-particao-reservada-pelo-sistema.html (which briefly speaks to into it there are some startup files and use for bitlocker) and it seems that there are ways to delete that partition, perhaps in your case this is the best solution.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

;) Thanks.

I guess I won't create this partition then, just the two partitions from gparted.

6. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I don't know if I am too late for the party/install but I am trying to save you time and headaches down the road. If you FULLY format the disk platter to NTFS (one partition only) before install, then the Windows installer will place the boot files needed inside the C drive (system disk) automatically during OS installation. I know you want two partitions so hang in there. Once 7 is installed and verified working with the system reserve/boot files inside the system disk, you can THEN re-partition/re-size getting some space to easily create the second partition you want. No brainer easy and if you are going to use TrueCrypt this will positively assist with avoiding problems down the road. Don't make the mistake of encrypting the second partition to the system disk master key (entire disk encryption). That is another source of problems down the road.

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thanks Palankar. I'm not sure I'll stick with Windows, I tried updating it today but it didn't find any updates the whole day, I tried several fixes and workarounds but still nothing.

I'm probably staying with openSUSE, I found the source if the problem that made me move in the first place :p

8. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Having read many of your Linux posts where you demonstrate significant prowess, its tough to imagine why a shift to Windows would ever be desired. LOL!!

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

:p I know, right?

Right now Linux is in a state where it's not working as I'd like it to, mostly because of how crappy AMD drivers support Xorg. Windows doesn't work too well either, but at least I'm positive that my drivers will never stop working because the developers pushed the wrong library, or that all my games will work fine too.

So for now I will try Windows to see how it does. Already tried Windows 10, and even though it's a good system it's not ready for me yet. So the last thing left is to try and make Windows 7 update.

But if it all fails I'll go back to Linux and live with the breakages.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.