Window's 7 & Acronis TI?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve1209, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore is not new. It was introduced in early 2007 with Vista.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I'll be testing it as soon as I finish downloading and instal the RC1 which came out today.

4. PsychEroc

PsychEroc Registered Member

I've used it and I can't tell any difference from Vista (Ultimate) except for gui. Even if Windows did improve their backup imaging, it still wouldn't compare to the options available in Acronis (and others). Anyways, Windows Defender certainly hasn't killed the anti-malware market.

5. alexint

alexint Registered Member

Major difference between vista version and the windows 7 version is file selection, you did not have any way in the vista version to cherry pick files/folders. As with all MS products there are nearly always other products that are better in certain area's than the MS product. Acronis imaging solution is stronger than the MS solution give it a go you will see what I mean, mount an MS created vhd as a virtual machine.

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I tried the Win 7 backup feature and I have to say that Acronis need not worry about a thing. For about 7Gb of used space Win 7 produced a folder containing 13 files. And it is not that the Image file was split - far from it, the main Image file was about 6Gb and the other files ranged in size from 2kb to 38Mb. It's not my idea of how a backup Image file should be.

Maybe someone can point out some advantages of the Win 7 backup. I'm willing to learn.

7. floepie

floepie Registered Member

For those wanting to backup their system drive *and* cherry-pick their data files (many here store such files on a separate partition) to archive to another internal drive or USB drive, Windows 7's backup solution seems quite good. It manages space automatically to delete older data sets and system images based on a % of free space on the backup drive. The only thing that I'm a little leery of is not being able to browse (or mount) the archive.

EDIT: You can browse your data files after hitting the restore button to select either individual files or the whole shebang.

Documentation is a little wanting too in terms of what Windows 7 is actually doing with its backups. Are they incrementals or differentials? Does it perform a full backup after a set number of interim backups? For those running Windows 7, I'm now seeking a reason to install Acronis. Until now, I've been using Acronis for system images and Syncback to backup data files (no compression). I think I may stick with Syncback just because I like to see real duplicates.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hopefully not viewed as a threadjack, I cannot get scheduled tasks to work on either of my W7 32bit installs - manual works, but not scheduled.

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Products

Here is release notes for future version of Acronis True Image product line Acronis Backup and Recovery. Use this link

You can receive Acronis' releases and special promotions information if you sign up at our web site

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Some nice improvements - still won't mount an archive in W7 RC1 correctly. Drive letter gets assigned, virtual partition becomes available, TI finishes assigning and drive letter disappears - partition becomes unmounted.

Competitors product manages to mount correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.