Windows 7/8 Compatibility Mode

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

What has been your experiences with using Windows 7/8 compatibility mode for pre-Windows 7/8 software?

I just started using Windows 7 at home for the first time a few weeks ago (I have been using Windows 7 at work for some time.).

Yesterday, I installed a software which I know for sure was designed for Windows XP and I 'think' that it is supposed to be also for Windows Vista (I saw something about Windows Vista during the installation.). When I first opened the program it was OK, but when I tried to close the program it stopped responding and had to be closed with Windows Task Manager. I never could get the program to open again (It would stop responding at the splash screen.). I uninstalled the program, restarted the PC and then reinstalled it. It still stopped responding at the splash screen.

At the time, I did not remember that there was a Window compatibility mode. So I wanted to make sure that I was free of the program so I restored an Image of the Windows 7 System Partition.

Now that I remember that there is a Windows compatibility option, I may give it a try again today after making a fresh Full Image of my Windows 7 System Partition.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

My experience is sometimes it works :) The next time you install the program go to the compatibility settings before you try to run it - right click on the EXE, go to the Compatibility tab, put a check in the box that says "run this program in compatibility mode for" and select XP from the drop down menu. If the program was actually coded for XP it will likely work.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. guest

guest Guest

Never worked for me at all. Always has been, always will be... in the past, present, and the future.

Short version: it is pants. :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2013
  5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's a hit-and-miss in my experience. Better option would be XP Mode, or any virtual machine running the necessary Windows version. Don't currently use old software though.

6. TheKid7

I give up!

I tried several Windows Compatibility settings (both Windows XP & Windows Vista) but none worked.

The device that I am having issues with is Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 (PCI) which I purchased around 6 to 7 years ago. This device worked great under Windows XP Pro 32 bit.

I guess that I will have to buy replacement hardware that has Windows 7 64 bit compatibility.

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Having had to trash a lot of my old favorites (e.g., dBase), perhaps part of your problem is that they're old enough to be 16-bit apps? When I had XP (x86), I could run 16 or 32 bit apps, but now that I'm in 7 x64 I've got just 32 and 64 bit modes and had to dump all my old 16-bit stuff.

Too bad there wasn't a way to get a CPU to handle all 3 modes.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Compatibility settings are for applications not for hardware. Hardware requires OS specific drivers.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nobody tried virtual machines?

10. TheKid7

The hardware drivers are Windows 7 compatible.

Hauppauge has a Windows 7 compatible application which I can purchase for $10, but it no longer supports my hardware. The latest application version for my hardware is stated to be Windows Vista compatible. However, I could not get this application to work in Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

OK, to be clear if the hardware drivers are Windows 7x64 compatible and the problem is just the front-end software then it should work if you create a virtual machine by installing Windows XP in VirtualBox. VirtualBox is free so you would just need an XP license and media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.