Windows 2000 User Profiles

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nwse, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nwse

nwse Registered Member

Since installing NOD32 Antivirus, we've been having issues with several Windows 2000 workstations creating new local user profiles every time the workstations are rebooted and the users log back in. NOD32 appears to be somehow locking up or changing permissions on local profiles, causing blank profiles to be created on login. So far, this has not been an issue with Windows XP workstations. Has anyone else encountered this and found a fix for it?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you try the latest version in case it was fixed?

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Which version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus was installed on the workstations running Microsoft Windows 2000?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. nwse

nwse Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. Version 4.2.40 was installed on those systems. I upgraded them to 4.2.58 yesterday and will post again if the issue recurs.

5. nwse

nwse Registered Member

Unfortunately, the upgrade to 4.2.58 has not resolved this issue. Any other ideas?

6. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Are you sure that NOD32 is causing the issue? have you tried uninstalling NOD32 and confirm that the blank profiles stop being created on login?

7. nwse

nwse Registered Member

Well, our network and client computers have been running under the same configuration for several years. Nothing has changed recently except for our Antivirus software (and I've seen these types of problems associated with other Antivirus packages). Uninstalling Nod32 on one of the affected clients is one of the things I plan on doing but it will leave the system vulnerable for several days (unfortunately, the problems don't occur every day). I've been trying to avoid this but it looks like this will have to be one of my next steps...

8. nwse

nwse Registered Member

After uninstalling Nod32 from an affected machine, the issue no longer occurs, so this is definitely related to Nod32. Any ideas? Thanks.

9. napast

napast Registered Member

Hello, we also have the same issue here, except the workstations are XP machines. After installation, OS creates new blank user profile with the existing user0001 profile (John0001). Client have 1000+ computers and he's very angry!

What to do?

Denis

10. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Contact and open tech support ticket?

11. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

Surely you didn't just push out a major update to 1000 computers without doing any testing first?

I usually roll updates out to one or two test PCs, wait a few days, and if no problems, do a few small batches (5 or so), wait a few more days, and if there are no issues, *then* start rolling them out - but again, in batches of 10 or so at a time.

First on the list should be planning/testing major updates better...

12. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you try updating one or two of the computers exhibiting this behavior to v4.2.64.12 and let us know if the problem persists?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13. napast

napast Registered Member

Hello,

Thank you all for advices and sorry for delayed answer. I still didn't get complete answer from customer with usable information.
    It end up customer have Windows 2000 on problematic machines, he just send me the wrong SI log. Also, problematic machines have, according to their admin, lots of uncleared infiltrations that needs to be solved first. He will send me SI log from clear machine with Win2000 installation. I will recommend latest version and post back the results. If the problem continues, I will contact support with complete information.

Thank you,
    Denis

14. nwse

nwse Registered Member

Denis, please let me know if you end up having success with version v4.2.64.12.

I've tried changing various Nod32 policy settings to resolve this issue with little success. Finally, I figured the "scan on shutdown" feature might be locking up system files somehow so I disabled it and have been without problems for a couple of days. Difficult to say if this resolves it once and for all. I'll post again with an update in a few more days.

15. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you have the User Profile Hive Cleanup service installed?

16. nwse

nwse Registered Member

No, we do not have the User Profile Hive Cleanup service installed. I was considering installing the service to see if it would help with the problems. Does it cause problems with Nod32?

17. chiguire

chiguire Registered Member

we have win2k and winxp and have had this issue occur on both os's. the last time was just this morning, and it was an xp machine. all workstations have version 4.2.64.12. on some workstations rebooting allows them to logon and have their normal user profile, but on other that did not work and we had to completely reconfigure their profile.

on the one's that the reboot fixed it, the event id's in the application log are 1508, 1502, 1515, 1511.

this has been a random issue for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.