Windows 2000 PC very slow at startup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fraha, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraha

Fraha Registered Member

Can anybody think with me?

My second system is terribly slow. It takes 8 minutes to startup only. While setting up network connections it stays quiet for a while. The Hard disk seems not to do anything for several seconds (40-60) while in startup.

Can anybody think of something to do to check if anything is wrong with the network settings?

I use a router from draytek to connect to the INTERNET. This works great for both systems.
    Only startup is a problem, specially the setting up of network takes to much time 'thinking'

I removed lots of redundant software but nothing helps!

Any takers?
    All replies are welcome!

Regards,

Frans

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Sounds like your DNS settings might need to be tweaked/changed. Check your "good" pc's DNS, and try the same settings on your "slow" box. By default, w2k is set to obtain DNS automatically.

3. Fraha

Fraha Registered Member

Hi JimIT

Thanks for your idea, but that part is OK. It's the same on both machines!

On my XP machine I did find something wrong, there was something checket with security validation or something.
    As this only goes about two computers talking to each other this might be it!

I'll get back about this topic.

Frans

4. Fraha

Fraha Registered Member

I did find something, it could be a memory failure.

As far as I know this system should have 512 Mb memory, but now the system info tells me it has 131.072 K (!)
    No memory faults are detected, but it seems a bit low on RAM suddenly.

It is a Pentium 2 at 350 MHz and needs 7 minutes to start up completely.

In two days I can check what amount of RAM is in that box. No time until then.

Any more ideas?

Regards

Frans

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

One of my friends had an issue on XP with network interfaces (LAN) not having a specified IP address, and XP was very slow to see that it couldn't retrieve IP address anywhere.

The solution was to specify manually an IP adress for his both interfaces and all was right after.

It *might* be your problem, at least try it.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is the same problem I had before I got a router. before the router it took three to six minutes for it to search for an ip address after a while it assigned one by default. I finally had to manually insert an ip address and after that really fast boot up times.When I installed my router it assignes an ip so it fixed the problem for good. but if you manually put the ip address in it should quit searching and boot right up.

7. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

Did you ever think about turning on dhcp??

Ruben

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

There is an xp specific problem that only affects some xp machines that wont let it automatically set an ip if it has lost the default one for what ever reason. I spent more time on the phone with microsoft and my Internet provider than I like to think about. The problem that they are experiencing with xp on some machines is fixed by manually inserting an ip address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.