Windows 11 leak reveals new UI, Start menu, and more (Discussion)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 15, 2021.

1. lucd

lucd Registered Member

one good thing is, as far, updates work with no issues, unlike windows 10

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting your good luck. I haven't seen much in the way of issues on my own Win 10 but yes there has been intermittent delays if that can be considered a issue.

A matter of 3 more days and the Windows 11 public servers should be humming.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Windows has always been run with administrator privilege. MacOS on the other hand, runs with a standard user account and administrator privilege is only invoked when absolutely necessary.

4. NormanF

If you have Windows 11 build 22000.194, you're good to go and you don't even need to wait until Tuesday to install the RTM version.

5. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, this build (22000.194) hasn't given me much of a problem at all. October 5 will be just like any other day around here.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nope. I kept my new PC Windows 10 since it arrived. Im waiting for the public wide distribution to see how it goes.

7. guest

guest Guest

Report: Windows 11 security feature can cause nearly 30% poorer game performance
    October 3, 2021
    https://mspoweruser.com/report-wind...-can-cause-nearly-30-poorer-game-performance/

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Goes in line with my observations in terms of performance and responsiveness (outlined above). Either way, it's bad.
    Mrk

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

30% performance hit? This is how they keep folks buying new hardware. My Windows 95 machine was more responsive with a 133 MHz processor and 24 MB of RAM. It will be interesting to see where this goes after the initial flop.

10. NormanF

So not good for gamers. Unless a Lite version comes out and if it does you can expect it to be tweaked for gamers' needs.

11. NormanF

I'm not using my old rig for games so I haven't experienced the dreaded performance hit. For that reason, I'm not in a hurry to upgrade my PC.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  12. lucd

lucd Registered Member

1. but performance hit for CPU with hyperthreading (HT) tech again or in general?

2. this virtualization (vbs) work regardless of windows defender and affects most hardware? it seams like something you enable in BIOS

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Midnight tonight? Let's get this show on the road.

14. lucd

lucd Registered Member

I played some games on windows 11, no problem insofar, on youtube the difference is 1 fps average (in favor of win 10), all games work even old ones no problem, I've got some input lag in shooters but its the game's fault I believe that is fixable, I believe these are synthetic tests that mean little, if there was difference I would feel it too since I game on both OS versions

15. Mrkvonic

Simpler than that - I had windows 10 on the box, with X bios settings. After the upgrade to 11, with those same settings, there is noticeable responsiveness penalty in even common desktop operations, like the launching of explorer windows. I managed to improve the results quite a bit with: 1) disabling visual effects 2) changing the min processor state from default 5% to 25% (arbitrary). Where exactly the fault lies (power management, scheduling, etc), not sure just yet. But this is not a good thing overall.

Note: this may go away with the official release, as we're talking dev channel build. But so far, meh.

Mrk

16. lucd

lucd Registered Member

changing the min processor state from default 5% to 25% (arbitrary).

Surprisingly, it can cause performance decrease, I am not messing with that settings anymore, eg. capping cpu at 2.4 ghz in Lenovo (maybe interference with battery/heat controlling applications) , once I restored from 99 cpu to default Lenovo CPU was able to reach its maximum of 3.5, btw. yes launching of apps and app/system response time in general is terrible if not debloated/tweaked. At default settings and services states it takes 4 minutes to start on ssd (feels like it won't start). After tweaking under 30 seconds. In games it is behaving ok, can't spot any difference

17. Mrkvonic

From my experience in the semi-conductor industry + work on performance optimization, my guess is that moving the needle above 5% changes the min processor state, and depending on how the operating system interacts with the processor, this could be significant in terms of access times. I've not looked at the Ryzen arch to see exactly how the states work, and what triggers sleep/wake, or how long the operations take.

So far, no downsides to this experiment - the responsiveness is improved, no performance degradation in other (sustained) actions.

Mrk

18. guest

guest Guest

Windows 11 build 22471 for the Dev channel brings more bug fixes
    October 4, 2021
    https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-11-build-22471-for-the-dev-channel-brings-more-bug-fixes/
    Announcing Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22471

19. guest

guest Guest

Microsoft begins rolling out Windows 11 to select users starting today
    October 4, 2021
    https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-begins-rolling-out-windows-11-to-select-users-starting-today/

20. guest

guest Guest

Windows 11 is released: What you need to know and new features
    October 4, 2021
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...eased-what-you-need-to-know-and-new-features/

21. guest

guest Guest

Windows 11: The Ars Technica review
    October 4, 2021
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/10/windows-11-the-ars-technica-review/
    Windows 11 review: Aesthetics over functionality
    October 4, 2021
    https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-11-review-aesthetics-over-functionality/

22. NormanF

You should have listened to me. Turns out the RTM build is 22000.194! Oh well.

23. NormanF

24. NormanF

25. NormanF

Microsoft has lots of bugs to squash. Its gonna take a year to bring Windows 11 to its full potential. Its incomplete state is a testament to the idiocracy that's Redmond.
    It didn't even bother to inform its OEM partners about the new hardware requirements. Microsoft still can't explain why my supposedly incompatible Intel i-5 Core processor can in fact run Windows 11 with no issues!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.