Windows 10 & SuRun - Stand and deliver

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I've published an article and tutorial on how to use SuRun with a standard account in Windows 10 with temporary administrator privileges, similar to sudo concept in Linux, including setup & initial configuration, prerequisites, necessary user and group changes, real-life testing with software upgrades and Windows updates, comparison to standard Windows privilege elevation prompts mechanism, other considerations, and more. Have fun.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/surun-windows-10.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@Mrkvonic Have you been able to run SuRun on Windows 10 version 1803?

I know that the developer has released SuRun 1213rc1 pre-release version on their forums which added support for Windows 10 version 1709 and know that users have had success with that version of Windows with that release of SuRun. But I haven't been able to find any results for users using it on 1803.

I tried that latest SuRun pre-release on 1803 the other day and unfortunately had no success. The executable would simply not run for more, nor would the control panel applet. I assume that the developer needs to do another pre-release to compile for 1803 (and upcoming 1809) but have not seen any developments recently.

I wanted to reach out to you since I know that you have many years of experience with SuRun. Thank you for your time. :)

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Yes, I am running it, no issues. But it was installed before 1803.
    Mrk

4. WildByDesign

Thank you for confirming. I will do some more tests and see if I can get it working.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

@WildByDesign,

I'm running latest release v1.2.1.2 no problems to speak of on Windows 10 Pro, v1803. Even before that, I was using beta v9 with no issues.

6. WildByDesign

Thank you both for confirming the success of running SuRun on version 1803 of Windows 10. Unfortunately, I spent several hours trying to run SuRun and I could never get the SuRun Settings to open (directly from executable or from SuRun tray app). It would never appear for me at all on either the Admin account or the standard user account which was added to SuRunners group. Also, any UAC elevation prompt was delayed by approx. 3-4 minutes each time I needed an admin cmd prompt or even Process Hacker. Literally 3-4 minutes each time.

Anyway, I ended up having success with Secure Runner which uses a Windows service and I combined that with RunAsTool for some other programs and, at least for my usage, this is the perfect combination in the end and quite simplistic as well. The Secure Runner program is actually quite old and states that it does not work with 64-bit programs, but I am using it entirely with 64-bit portable programs and it is doing well.

Cheers guys, thank you both again for your time. :thumb:

7. WildByDesign

With SuRun, is there a way to use SuRun to elevate privileges of programs when Windows starts up or upon user login?
    Whether that be by way of registry Run entries, Task Scheduler, etc. it does not matter too much. But does SuRun allow this?

My example at the moment is the system tray icon for Core Temp. It requires admin upon startup and uses a scheduled task. I am wondering if the task can then be modified to work with SuRun, elevate Core Temp tray tool and (hopefully) bypass UAC prompt. Can anyone confirm if this is possible with the Core Temp example?

Unfortunately I still have not been able to get SuRun to run yet. Even after successful installation, the SuRun Settings dialog still does not come up. I understand that it comes up within a secure desktop and thought maybe the problem was UAC set to max. So I reset UAC to Default and still it is not working. Oddly, I was able to get SuRun to work in a virtual machine of 1803. So there is hope.

Thank you again for your time.

EDIT: I may re-install Windows on my main ultrabook, but I wanted to ensure that SuRun can function as I need it to first before going through the clean install of Windows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.