Windows 10 & new processors policy - The explanation

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, May 10, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Today, we take the philosophical highway. For I shall be discussing Microsoft's decision to support only Windows 10 on Kaby Lake and Ryzen generation of CPU, with specific focus on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, Mainstream and Extended support, hardware refresh cycle versus software lifetime, affected audience, other considerations, and more. Take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-10-new-processors.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. boredog

boredog Registered Member

3. Mrkvonic

I would not recommend it.
    Mrk

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I could not disagree more.
    Microsoft's, Intel's and Amd's decision is related only with microsoft's effort to push windows 8, 8.1 and 10x to the users. Nothing more and nothing less.
    Kabylake is not such a radical change from Skylake to support your article's arguments. It is not related with cutting costs on support. Is related with monetizing on the new OS, by monitoring user habits and personal advertising.

Microsoft failed in pushing windows 10 to everyone so they decided to take the unsupported hardware path. The fact that they take this path 3-4 years earlier than they would if adaption rate of windows 10 was according to their expectations speaks volumes...

Panagiotis

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Good point.

I like Windows 10 LTSB so much I have no regrets moving on from Windows 7 Pro.

I get 10 years support in total instead of the three years extended support for Windows 7 that ends in 2020.

Now I have mainstream support through 2021 and extended support through 2026.

6. NormanF

Mrk is right. It only puts off the inevitable. You're free to run an unsupported system but hardware vendors and Microsoft aren't obligated to support it.

Windows 10 will support any device made in the last decade and my business PC is around 8 years old.

That's why upgrading was the right move at the right time.

7. NormanF

Microsoft wants people to move to Windows 10 and they don't care how they get on it. For them, it makes sense from a business perspective and Microsoft doesn't want to simultaneously support three operating systems at the same time. They want to support one. Its their Windows.

8. pandlouk

That was crystal clear from august 2012 when win8 was released
    Of course it makes sense.User habits, user info, advs etc. gives immense profit. It has nothing to do with supporting 3 OSes... and by the way they still have to support them until 2020 even if the new cpus are excluded...
    Which without a vast user base means nothing...

Panagiotis

9. Mrkvonic

Pandlouk, how's Windows 8.1 relevant in being pushed, when it's also blacklisted.
    Second, the differences between processors are significant. I've worked in this industry, and they are big.

Besides, you didn't read my point around OS support - why install win7 on new hardware and have the os run out of patches half way through the hardware refresh cycle? Or for that matter, if it's 8, then why not 10 (in your argument, they are the same), so why then.

Mrk

10. NormanF

People can run an unsupported system. Microsoft doesn't prevent them from doing so. It just won't update those systems.

If you really want to be secure, Windows 7 is the minimum. Windows 10 offers excellent security.

There's good reason to move up to a more secure OS. You don't have to run the Windows 10 edition Microsoft prefers you to run to get it.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I like your train of thought all about it.

Only time will tell how advanced/safe Win 10 is (no doubt safer but private?) but seems Microsoft these days are in way too big of a hurry aren't they?

After all they overlook one very important aspect of their Platforms in my opinion. What the dickens and why did they skip Windows 9 for?

I read all the supporting arguments time and again to the why in defense of straight to the Windows 10 decision.

This only tells me one thing, the more users they can push onto 10 as soon as possible the sooner they can start hyping up Windows 11.

No sir, unsupported or not it's way too soon in this camp to be mothballing Windows 8.1 for the next several years in fact.

Yeah I do run a Windows 10 but only offline and measured constantly to see how it MIGHT fit in later on down the road.

When and if they do get it straightened out to customer satisfaction enough and settled with their own little crafty plans maybe it might command more enthusiasm from this end but not until then.

Rant complete

12. NormanF

Most versions of Windows 10 are rolling releases - like Ubuntu, released on a six month cycle.

The LTS version, Enterprise LTSB, gets supported for five years before a new version is released.

That's the model Microsoft has in mind for Windows 10.

13. pandlouk

Of course it is relevant. If they only blacklisted 7 we would have another round of whining from win7 users.
    Not significant enough to not support them I'm strickly talking for kabylake. If they were it would be impossible to run on the same chipsets/mobos 100 and 200 series
    For various reasons:
    - a user prefers windows 7 or 8 and has bought a home/pro/retail license and would prefer to use it until the end of it's lifecycle
    - incompatibility of a program with windows 10
    - a user or a small office has windows 7 ultimate license and there is simply no alternative of this version in the windows 10 variants.
    - automatic/forced updates. Some users (me included) and small offices will never install an OS that forcefully updates itself. This alone is a deal breaker for me... (and even more of a deal breaker when combined with the Win 10 Eula)...

Panagiotis

14. pandlouk

Not exactly. In apollo lake systems you cannot even install windows 7.
    If you really want to be secure you avoid windows...
    I do not consider more secure an OS which can and does install programs without notifying me or my consent.

Panagiotis

15. pandlouk

Hi Easter,

with the current eula of 10 we will never know or be sure if it is safe. Since is a constant/rolling update/upgrade OS and we give them permission to install/remove/modify whatever they like it is an OS similar to the cinese fortune cookies, you cannot know what it says until you open it.

Panagiotis

16. NormanF

Not for me. Running Enterprise LTSB which has no forced updates and I moved to it from Windows 7 Pro. I'm covered for 10 years and its I don't have to upgrade at least until 2019 and Build 1607 is robust and super stable. Its pure classical Windows.

17. NormanF

True Home and Pro are a rolling version. If you don't like it, you have Enterprise LTSB, which is the stable branch.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi back at ya pandlouk.

I know, I know.

Long time Window PC Users and PC people in general (and likely developers too) have to be at some point just getting fed up with all that nonsense on what seems like a constant basis unending for everyone involved.

All of this trial and error for rollouts/updates could have been done on a Windows 9 IMO and then they could easily have better managed to encourage folks over to a much more refined 10 as long as it was at the user's choice too. Within reason doesn't seem to fit the M$ plan though, whatever that is.

This endless demand or else cut support threat Win 7/8 for home/business desktop PC users is why some time ago i chose to transition a bit over to Android OS for Tablet/Phablet use etc. and just take a wait and see approach how far that bunch intends to go to tick off what could have been very satisfied customer base without all the complaints n pushbacks at them.

In all honesty none of us have 200 years to spare spending most of it picking through new settings, troubleshooting the new issues and all that anyway.

19. guest

guest Guest

+1

20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If they don't want to support 3 OSs they shouldn't set OS support lifecycle as they did. No matter how users migrate to Windows 10, lifecycles won't change.

21. pandlouk

Right.:rolleyes:
    And can you please point me to the microsoft link where I can purchase 3 single licenses as an individual?:isay:

It is amusing to read "this OS is better and more secure" but "I use a trial version, or a version provided from the company I work, or a an activated version which I obtained with other non... official ways".o_O:eek:

Panagiotis

22. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

hehe, exactly.

23. NormanF

PM me if you're interested. I can assure you though my Microsoft license is legitimate and Windows is activated. :geek:

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  24. NormanF

You can't get it directly from Microsoft. You'll have to buy it from a software volume reseller. The evaluation version on MSDN is an old version for testing and can neither be activated or updated.

Keep in mind with LTSB, its a clean install and there is no way to move to Current Branch without a reinstall.

25. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

So you're buying, from a reseller, both an ISO and an activation key, is that it ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.