Windows 10 Issues, Problems & solutions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by emmjay, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I've already seen this update successfully applied on several machines now. From a glance, the history of 0x8e5e0147 error suggests an issue that should be addressed, or could prove to be an issue for future WU updates. Maybe not for W10 Anniversary Update, but not the type of bet I'd make.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Didn't work unfortunately.
    I'll probably do that since that update just won't install...

4. Phant0m

You can discover the problem by looking at the Windows Update log. In PowerShell enter; Get-WindowsUpdateLog

This will create Get-WindowsUpdate.log file on the desktop that you can go through.

I'll PM you my email encase you would like to send it over to me to have a look at for you.

5. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Just posting here in case in helps anyone with the following issue.

After the Win 10 upgrade, my ThinkPad Yoga i7 Win 8.1 Pro x64 would generally freeze roughly three minutes after booting with 100% CPU usage (sytem, svchost.exe).

After three upgrade attempts, and nearly two weeks of troubleshooting, I found my (rather obscure) solution here (Edit: Method 1): http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-high-cpu-usage-fix-490908.shtml
    Cortana is not available here, not that I'd use anyway.

Two other much older Win 7 Pro x64 laptops and a Win 7 Starter netbook all upgraded without incident.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

May be related to Lenovo programs. If you have Companion or System Interface Foundation installed, try with them uninstalled.

7. paulderdash

Yes I have both installed. I will give that a try ... for now I am just happy the freeze issue is solved.

There is fair amount of Lenovo bloatware, System Update is the only one I use.

8. paulderdash

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

We discussed over PM and email, but basically to me it looks to be a Windows 10 licensing issue with the Education version. Although Reset via the Settings App did work, neither of these do:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicISO
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/3036646

Basically, I can't download a new ISO, and I may be partially blocked from Microsoft. Note that this is on a fresh installation without anything other than some Store Apps and Chrome.

Sorry, but I don't want to risk making private info public by uploading the log. And I was in too much of a hurry to make screenshots of the old installation, so you'll have to trust me on that (for now).

It was messed up enough to cause an "Invalid Picture" error when running Tweaking.com Windows Repair... And I've set Macrium Reflect to clean images too often (monthly)...

I have a feeling it's an outdated Cumulative Update (before June's) installed right after the in-place upgrade from Home to Education. Of course I tried uninstalling that along with imaging before July's Patch Tuesday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  10. Phant0m

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Hmm weird. May be region-restricted or something. I think I may convert my old installation into Hyper-V for troubleshooting or something LOL. But that should probably wait until the weekends.

12. paulderdash

Update to my issue posted above: Actually, this method didn't work for me after all.

After further investigation, I found that what actually seemed to be causing the freeze was backgoundtaskhost.exe, intiated by runtimebroker.exe (?), which shows as Search Background Task Host in Task Manager, actually searchindexer.exe (via Properties), even after performing various optimizations to the indexing process.

Anyway, disabling Windows Search service eliminates the freeze issue. The registry hack to disable runtimebroker.exe worked, but I prefer not use that solution as it breaks other stuff.

Dunno why I have the problem on my newest machine upgraded from Win 8.1, and not my older three upgraded Win 7 laptops.

Edit: @Robin A. I tried without the Lenovo stuff but it made no difference.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've just finished reinstalling Win10 fresh on one machine and I notice that KB3140743 "Failed to install" but if I check for updates it says my machine is up to date and it isn't listed in the installed updates. I could probably manually install it but with the Anniversary Update due for release in a few days should I even bother?

14. Phant0m

I don't have nothing starting with KB34*, and I've been getting them as they are rolled out since the near beginning.

Anyways, Cumulative updates I believe, always includes all the previously released fixes.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Neither do I. ;)
    The odd thing was that I had already successfully installed all updates first offered, when I checked again this one was offered with an Install button - it didn't start installing on its own like most updates. It was the last update found and there was no error message, just when I check View installed update history KB3140743 shows as Failed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I just "Upgraded" to Win 10.

Is there a way to chooses Foxit as the default pdf reader in Win 10. The default appears to be wedded to Microsoft Edge.

Is MS Edge OK?/Secure?

17. paulderdash

Right click Start>Control Panel>Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocol with a program>navigate to .pdf, double click; if Foxit is not listed, or go down to More apps, go down to Look for another app on this PC and browse to Foxit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  18. paulderdash

Have others experienced intransigent issues with displaying system icons in the notification area?

At the moment on my primary machine I simply cannot display the Volume icon, whether I switch it on or off, and only the Network and Power icons appear. (In fact now if I switch off the Volume icon, the Network icon disappears and if I switch the Volume icon on again, the Network icon reappears - it seems only two system icons can appear on the taskbar, besides Alerts).

Related, I have also had this (first post): http://www.tenforums.com/general-su...rea-broken-under-110-scaling-any-way-fix.html so it may be scaling related. My Display shows a Custom scaling factor is set to 175%.

I have tried turning off custom scaling and signing out which resulted in very large icons (though all displayed) and a freeze on boot. Only restoring an image got me back.

I have also tried resetting the notification area icons cache, but no joy.

Notification area icons have had issues before for me on 7 and 8.1, but seemingly even more so on 10.

I only have this issue on the machine I upgraded from 8.1, and not on three others upgraded from 7 - and I didn't change any display settings in the process.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

19. Phant0m

Microsoft Edge happens to be the securest. I've used Foxit PDF reader in the past, now I simply use Microsoft Edge to handle pdf documents.

20. Phant0m

@paulderdash: Custom scaling level by default is 100%. You should have put it back to 100% and restarted the computer. Check to see if things back to normal, then undo the change and restart again and check.

I'm using 150%, and never had any problems with systray icons.

"
    • Make sure that the drivers and devices that are for the system icons are installed and working properly. They will not work if the device or driver does not.
    • Sometimes to simply log off and log on, or restart the computer, will enable the missing notification icons again. You should try this first.

21. paulderdash

Thanks @Phant0m, I have done those. I will play with the scaling again soon (after taking an image).

22. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks for your insightful info about my question Phant0m :)

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Today on 3 different PCs all running Win10 x64 AU (one installed yesterday) the Weather application isn't updating. If I click Start and leave it open the Weather app isn't even flipping like it normally does. If I click the app it opens, refreshes and shows the current weather and temp but if I close the app and click back on Start it still won't flip and update. Each machine is using a slightly different town as default.

News is working normally.

Anyone else seeing this?

25. bidd

bidd Guest

Hi Krusty
    I cant comment on whether it's working or not as I ditched the weather app long ago, it was always giving inaccurate temps due to not receiving their data from the BOM ( Bureau of Meteorology ), now I just use the Weatherzone plus app on the phone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.