Windows 10 Chkdsk question about EA records

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, May 23, 2016.

1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I've been using Windows 10 since January and this is a first weird event (other than forced updates of course).
    Two days ago, during restart, before I had a chance to select windows 7 or 10, my laptop was doing major disk checking of the Windows 10 partition. Windows 7 and data partitions were also checked, but were OK. Windows 10 has problems.
    - Thousands of entries said something about EA attributes
    ... but then, thousands of lines later, event log ended

- Reliability View for May21 reports that Windows stopped working
    - Then yesterday Acronis imaging threw a warning (not error) about MFT bitmap corrupted. That really got me scared even though everything seems to work just fine.

- Today I repeated chkdsk of the Windows 10 partition. I ran it from windows 7, and it reported 33320 reparse records.
    ... and on and on it goes ... and shows no end in sight
    other than a message that all bad files were moved (or copied, can't recall) to "Found" folder.
    Windows 10 has a "Found.000" folder. It's empty.

I googled these out
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_file_attributes
    it might as well be written in chinese. There is something about those EA attributes in the OS/2 section there. Means nothing to me.
    - http://superuser.com/questions/292338/chkdsk-questions
    This link is a bit more clear, says not to worry, but the answer was to the user who had only few such records

I still don't know if chkdsk was even completed since the event log is cut off. I think not. How can I tell? And how can I tell if MFT is or is not OK?

EDIT: should I have posted this is Backup/disk mgt section?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.