Windows 10 Announced - Released 29-Jul-2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Sep 30, 2014.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

windows 8.1 does not say home. just 8.1, 8.1 pro, 8.1 pro WMC. So I guess my plain 8.1 means home in win 10?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Screenshot.
    Device driverstoo.JPG

3. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Activated at the third attempt.

Apparently Acronis OS Selector (dead product?) does not support booting "Windows 10".

What might be a good alternative? (I want to boot 2 versions of Windows on different disks, plus Ubuntu, DOS, and Macrium Reflect ISO).

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Thank you Ron,

That was helpful. This must be in the July 29th release, as I could not find it in the previous 10240 release.

I hope they can change the automatic Windows update policy too. I prefer the update policy they have for their previous Windows.

5. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Haven't tried it as I think my current approach will work for me just fine, but check out http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/

I also hope they backtrack on that stance as this was one of my largest peeves (only operational one really.(not counting Asmiov and the opt-out-of autotracking))

eg:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I will check it out. Thanks.

Let us wait for a few days/weeks, I am confident MS will reconsider their policy on automatic updates. Until now things went smoothly because the Windows Insiders were computer enthusiasts and probable knew how to correct and resolve minor glitches caused by Windows updates, but when all moms and pops out there start encountering problems, MS will probably be forced to reconsider.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/29/9...ows-10-myerson-belfiore-aul-spencer-interview

8. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

windows 10 installer (ms tool) ~Snip~ I try to upgrade and it tells me after a few second trying :" something happened" and close. What the ~Snip~is this. no explanation and nothing just "something happen"o_O?

So its not upgrading which is strange as the win update say "windows 10 upgrade reserved". Damn it MS, what the hell is going ono_O? Anyone else have the same issue?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  9. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

ugh and now I find out that although the unified write filter exists on win 10 pro it can only be managed via an enterprise version, =( I was so looking forward to using it rather than a 3rd party solution like shadow defender! I wonder if a few manual entries (regedit?) would overcome this...worth testing at least.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  10. taotoo

taotoo Registered Member

Lack of free disk space can be a cause.

11. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Reminds me of the BSOD on W8 where it wasn't actually helpful at all. =( I seem to have forgotten this between then and now but were I to face such an issue it would certainly be a big one for me! On W8 they weren't helpful anymore without something to read the dump. That of course requires another computer (and some way to transfer the dmp) not affected by the same issue were it to occur at boot.....that's three black marks against. Safe mode "might" work, but I'd hate to be stuck with such little info and face a real BSOD with these newer OS's. Is W10 still really using the same BSOD scheme? Haven't encountered it thus far...

Truly sorry for your situation sir, perhaps there's a logfile to track down which can give you/us more info to work with? Hopefully your situation will b

Upgrading within windows (with an active net connection) allows the upgrade without any manual input of serials etc...(at least with an OEM version, can't say if a retail version would be the same...) but once MS has your HWID saved, you should technically be able to install a clean 'Win10' and have it recognized. I haven't gotten that far yet as I'm still testing NTLite'd builds in VMs but within a few days I hope to have my first test build ready and a sure-fire answer as to if it works like I think it does.

An ISO/dvd isn't required (but if it works like I think) it does need to be installed/initialized within the current (genuine 7Sp1/8.1+) OS at least once (along with a few other prerequisite updates being installed). And so if you want to do a clean install afterward (I do) then an iso/dvd is a good way to start things off. My stance on the matter still makes use of many (unproven) assumptions, which makes an *** of me and others.... cough...but IF I'm correct...I might actually still use Win 10 on at least 1/3 of my Operating Systems....if not all three when my security software catches up and I've finalized a build using https://www.ntlite.com/ without Asimov / Cortana / CEIP and the rest of the stuff I don't want.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'm getting that too on one of my computers. The window says "something happended" twice. That's all it says, there's not even a cryptic error code to try and figure out.

13. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Does anyone else have a higher thread count, since upgrading to Windows 10 (Task Manager, Performance tab, CPU category)?

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not sure what you mean. What is the speed setting under view on your task manager menu?

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

After an in-place upgrade, isn't activation supposed to take place automatically to convert the existing product key to the new format? I have an upgrade which has 'Activate Windows' showing at the bottom of the System Info screen.

16. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

The speed varies, because I am using a Balanced power plan (CPU is fully utilized when it needs to be).

I am talking about the threads category, it's listed under the Speed value in Task Manager (Performance tab).

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Using OEM version here. It activated.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I see it now. Never paid any attention to it to be truthful.

Showing 73 processes and 933 threads at this moment.

19. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I clicked on Activate but it wouldn't until after the third attempt. There was an error code and a search showed others had come across this same issue in Microsoft's own forums. Spurious solutions were suggested, such as changing the Download folder name in SoftwareDistribution and trying activation again. Of course, none of that actually works I don't think. I didn't try it but some of the same posters reported success after simply clicking on activate again as I did.

It would seem that with the sheer numbers upgrading there will be times it doesn't authenticate straight away. Patience is probably what's needed.

20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

So it did activate.

It will be interesting to see the amount of downloads and upgrades that took place today.

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

ronjor did you upgrade from the offer in windows or use the iso builder tool to upgrade?

22. zfactor

no they use a identifying code to identify the machine for future installs. it does not "change" your previous lic key

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

24. zfactor

okay thanks i have a number of people who never got the reserve option and i have attempted every fix i know of. i have heard mixed things about the tool today as far as it activating for some and not for others

25. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.