window xp become raw file system,how to restore it

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by yst, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yst

yst Registered Member

Hello:

I start my computer today but cannot start even in safe mode or last known good configuration,then I use my ghost image want to restore to it ,but the target drive is not accessible,it show the byte information but in gray ,that mean cannot click into the drive,then now I use pebuider to connect the internet,in my computer c drive become unaccessible ,file sytem become,raw,and data is 0 byte.what can I do now,my image is quite new ,therefore I need not recover data from the raw drive by other recovery file software ,only want to restore the image to it by the gho image.what can I do ,I have acronis drive director,and the c drive show it here,when exploring it files also intact,then does I need to format the partition ,if I format it ,will the ghost 2003 can see and access the drive again?I am imexperience like thise situation,and want someone can help me dicide on how to do,I have this kind of raw system before,but not on drive c,why that happen?this partition is the only one have problem ,drive e which is the other half of this harddisk have no problem accessing files.what the problem,I need someone help me,thanks in advance.

what can I do to make the window xp boot again without needing to restore from ghost image,or if the only method is restore ,how can I make the c partition appear as normal and canbe accessed through the browse for target drive dialog?:'( :)

2. yst

yst Registered Member

.I also have tried the partition table doctor ,it show my c drive and when browse root the files/folder shown up intact.use the rebuild MBR and also fixboot,reboot computer still the black screen of unbootable .and have other choice boot from safe mode.
    but it also prompt me to fix the error,something like:error:the total sectors of the partition 2 on harddisk 1 is 93648055.the right total sectors is 93948057.Do you want to correct the error?(it is the e drive that is accessible,and it share the same harddisk with c drive)when I click ok to fix this error,I am fear because the partition e become dissapear in the partition doctor table,only left c drive shown up in the 1 disk,therefore I do not save the changes after this operation because I fear all the data in disk e will be formatted, erased!not know what the problem,but when using ghost application,the c drive can be browse normally when browse for the source image to restore from,but cannot accessed only when b rowse for the target partition to restore to.strange

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I had a similar problem when my installed OSS got confused. Basically your MBR and partition table has become messed up.

What should fix this for you is if you have an XP CD, see if it will allow a repair install. This is not the first repair option that you get with the CD, click on install a new XP. It should then tell you that it has found an XP installation already on the drive, do you want to repair?

Choose this repair option, it will then wipe out the XP system folder which will include all your Windows updates :( if any, then it will re-install and rewrite the MBR and some other boot information.

You will need your XP product key.

If your partition E is on a different drive, nothing should be effected.

If you can it would be wise to make an image of the whole harddrive, just in case something goes wrong or you hit the wrong button.

Colin

4. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

The 'Repair-Install' procedures outline by 'bodgy' here was right.

But if anyone needs a more 'detailed handholding' procedures ( and i suggest printing out the whole procedures prior to running it ) about Repair - Install using your oem winOS-cd, then here is the url~ http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Note: Please follow the 'mentioned' preparatory steps prior to running an winOS "Repair-Install".

5. yst

yst Registered Member

today computer automatically chkdsk,and correct and delete some wrong files itself,therefore computer boot normally again,do you think it is neccessary to periodically check disk health,because sometimes ago one disk also dissapear like this,to prevent this from happen,what should be done?because even ghost cannot do anything when disk is inaccessible.
    (I have use partition table doctor to rebuild mbr and fixboot,etc,but no avail,only chkdks help !)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.