Window Washer / CCleaner

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by jdjudy, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdjudy

jdjudy Registered Member

Is there really any advantage (other than free space cleaning) to window washer or privacy guardian over CCleaner. I had window washer in the past and found then, that CCleaner would remove more files. I was wondering if anyone had some insight into this. I got a pretty good discount offer to come back to window washer and I am trying to see if the money is worth it...

Thanks

2. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

The new version of CCleaner is still very buggy. I cannot, for example, get it to wipe my Internet Explorer temp. files.

Window Washer was recently upgraded to version 6.5.1.1099. I use it and CCleaner (old version 1.41.544).

Combined, I feel they get much of whatever might be left.

I supplement with sdelete and Eraser for a truly wiped drive.

3. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

I bought Window Washer v6.something last year, based on fond memories
    of versions past. It lasted on my machine about a month. For me, the
    combination of CCleaner and Eraser has proven itself best at covering
    all the necessary bases.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Ccleaner will automatically delete your temporary files, but you have to tell it to delete autocomplete and passwords etc. It gives you that option. I just use it to quickly delete history and cookies and dat files etc.

But if I truly want to wipe something, I use R-Wipe and I love it. I can right click on any file and wipe it. I can set it to wipe individual files once (pseudo random) 3 times, 7, times, or 35 times (Guttman). I can wipe the free space with the same options.

I can individually wipe internet explorer temp files, cookies, history, typed URLs, flash cookies, stored text, passwords, java files,

I can tell it to wipe firefox or Opera separately

I can tell it to wipe all application traces (there is a big list for players, microsoft office etc)

And you can wipe system traces (about 30 listed options)

I have heard too many bad things about evidemce eliminator to even try it. But I did try a few others and I like this one the best, by far. I have it on two computrers in two locations with the same lisense key.

5. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

You can increase CCleaner's range of coverage by downloading
    the winapp2.ini file and pasting it into your CCleaner program folder.

It is available in a pinned topic under CCleaner Discussion
    at the CCleaner forum.

http://forum.piriform.com/

6. jdjudy

jdjudy Registered Member

I added the winapp2.ini file and found that to really improve CCleaner's performance. I think that it CCleaner with tweaks could hold its own against the sharewares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.