Winamp shutting down after over 15 years

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

That's a shame. Before renting media through the likes of Spotify and others, it indeed whipped Llama behind and was a treasure to have and use. Unfortunately, a good amount of popularity loss surely came from the unwanted changes such as OpenCandy and others. Oh well, there are very good alternatives such as MusicBee :)

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I wonder what happens with the Pro version? Spider Player made their pro version free for everyone once they stopped development.

4. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Yeah, I remember Winamp as my first "real" audio player back in 1997 or 98, in the days when 128kbps MP3s were the norm and my Pentium computer took nearly half an hour to encode one track. I pretty much had to leave it on overnight if I wanted to do an album.

I've been on Foobar2000 for, I guess, more than 10 years now. I think I turned away from Winamp when they released a problematic version; I don't remember which number it was, but it was when they added the media library feature. I also kind of got tired of how their low-res application skinning looked worse and worse as resolutions got higher. I'm sure that changed at some point, but back then it was kind of ugly. I had to use the double-size feature just to make it large enough, and then it was really pixellated.

5. Dave0291

We could see the same thing with Winamp and that wouldn't be so bad in my opinion. Either way, the Pro version already is easily found through less legal means. I'm sure it'll just be even easier afterward with no one around to mind the fort so to speak. I don't know how well the other features such as Shoutcast will fare.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Indeed I used it in the late 90's early 2000's long time ago now.

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Winamp was my default music player between 1998-2000. I have fond memories of that time. However, after that I switched to Real Player pro, then windows media player and then since 2004 onwards to VLC.

I was surprised to read in the article that Winamp was acquired by AOL in 2002, I did not know that. Maybe this was the reason it fell behind other media players, as AOL since 2000 onwards has been run by some very unimaginative people.

8. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Cya Winamp...much better stuff out there :)

9. Dave0291

It seems that AOL doesn't do much good for any company or service they acquire unfortunately. They are certainly held accountable for the slow demise of this particular program. I must be one of the very few who don't care so much for VLC, though I have used it on a few troublesome files before when all else failed.

10. Dave0291

Quite arguable in my opinion. Though I will certainly give Jaangle and AIMP their deserved due.

11. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I remember when Winamp came bundled with AOL (2002). I used Real Player back then (which was also bundled with AOL), until I discovered Real Alternative and later, VLC Player. AIMP also works pretty well as a radio and music player.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I havent used Winamp since i switched from XP to Vista. :D
    So i'd say that i used Winamp until mid 2000's.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Am I the only one who hasn't used Winamp? The only mention of it I've seen are online news and bundleware.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yes, you are the only one. :D

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No he's not. There are two of us.:p

16. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

For some people, it may depend on when they got into computers. When Winamp was "the" player to get in the late 90s, it was before many of today's popular players existed. There was no iTunes, no Foobar2000, no VLC, no XBMC, no MediaMonkey. Windows Media Player hadn't come into its own yet.

I'm sure there were decent alternatives, but I can't remember what they were.

17. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Make that three:)
    AIMP for me!

18. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

AOL reportedly wants to sell Winamp to Microsoft
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/21/5130536/microsoft-aol-reportedly-working-on-winamp-sale

19. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Why would MS want Winamp? :eek:

21. Dave0291

That's strange. As I had understood from reading more online, AOL was approached at least a couple of times before and refused to entertain any offers. I too question a deal from Microsoft. I fear what this old, wonderful workhorse of a program would become in their hands. Of course if they plan on bringing the best of WinAmp to Windows Media Player, I don't believe I'd mind that at all. If it's just going to be turned into a shell of itself and dumped into the atrocity that is XBox, then I say just let it die peacefully and give it a proper burial.

22. Raza0007

Which player did you use to play MP3s on your PC in 1997? If I recall correctly there were only a handful of choices then, windows media player, Realplayer or Winamp. And at that time Winamp offered the best gui for playing and managing your music files. It also had different skins, so it was fun to use it and play.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  23. Raza0007

It has to do with the management. AOL's management failed to adapt to the rapidly changing market and paid the price.

24. Raza0007

Exactly, what would MS want with Winamp?

25. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Speaking of Winamp - has anyone used Nero or late ? None that I know of. Just my .02

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.