WIN98SE; some "gearhead" queries:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Jul 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

For any techies in our forums - some answers, if you can help, please?

On our PC with WIN98SE:

a) I once did a WIN reinstall that is really more of a refresh, you could say,
    wherein the WIN install on the PC stays almost perfectly intact and that method uses some switch like /w when you enter install parameters. I forget, however, what the proper switch is to do this. Anyone know?

b) Is there a slicker/quicker utility than MSCONFIG method, where one can fly thru' choices of what you want to run or not, just before you reboot?

c) Along the lines of question b: is there some method to erase old entries in Startup section of the MSCONFIG box, for old crap that you no longer have or use?

d) Any utilities like - but not from Norton bloatware - out there, that runs on WIN98SE and can do whizbang stuff that Norton used to do with the older versions of WIN that I so fondly recall from the old days?

e) At least one party here in the forums, I think, mentioned WinRescue program as being a lifesaver... when one really needs it. Any users out there, who have and use that program? Does it work pretty well? I always like to hear the end-user opinion, not what a company/author, claims about something.

Many thanks for any help/opinions, etc.
    Best, SG1 (Pat)

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Win98SE is soooo old, I forgot most of it already.

a) Did you try these? (I think you need /d)

b) My brain is too fuzzy for this one.

c) You could use Spybot Search & Destroy, or HijackThis. You need Spybot anyway, especially with 98, so load it up with TeaTimer.

d) Could you please be more specific as to what you want to do? Norton did a lot of cool stuff, especially in it's early DOS days.

e) Can't help you there.

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

a) Close_Hauled is right, you need the /d switch.

b) not that I know of personally, but its been a long long time since I've used 98.

c) http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml - Startup control panel, works very nicely, I still use it (Win2k, lack of msconfig.)

d) Not too sure what you're talking about. lol.

e) Never used it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.