WIN98 REGISTRY

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MICRO, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Any chance that a techie. can help please ?
    MS know. base article 256419 says to backup the whole registry go
    Start - Run - Scanregw - Ok - Yes - Ok.

It puts a new Rboo1.cab file in Windows\Sysbckup.
    I checked the size of those cab files and they are 1.10 MB's each on this machine.
    Each copy has 4 files,

USER.DAT
    SYSTEM.DAT
    WIN.INI - config.settings.
    SYSTEM.INI - config. settings

Two questions, does 1.10 MB's seem the correct size for a copy of the whole registry ?
    If so, will copying one of those Rb.cab files onto a floppy be quite useable so long as I refresh the copy in case of registry changes ?

TIA,

Regards.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Micro,

Each users machine and the size of the registry....which for Win98 is simply system.dat\user.dat....will vary. In fact the workstation I'm at now has a reg backup with the file size being almost 2 meg. Since Win98 keeps 5 reg backups....just curious what you feel the need for a floppy backup ?

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Bubba,
    My only thinking was to have a useable backup copy of the Reg. now, when
    the machine is running clean and well.The last time I had to format the C:\ drive was due to my not seeing that things were wrong early enough and was well over a week,
    so the 5 backups would have been as useless as each other.
    If I had a definite good one I could possibly have saved myself a lot of work.

However I was just reading the very informative and well written and received piece
    that Root contributed in Wilders - Disaster Prevention 101.
    I learnt about Drive Imaging,( I had not heard of it before ) and I am now thinking that's the backup I really need, the whole drive.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.