WIN98 REGISTRY

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MICRO, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Any chance that a techie. can help please ?
    MS know. base article 256419 says to backup the whole registry go
    Start - Run - Scanregw - Ok - Yes - Ok.

It puts a new Rboo1.cab file in Windows\Sysbckup.
    I checked the size of those cab files and they are 1.10 MB's each on this machine.
    Each copy has 4 files,

USER.DAT
    SYSTEM.DAT
    WIN.INI - config.settings.
    SYSTEM.INI - config. settings

Two questions, does 1.10 MB's seem the correct size for a copy of the whole registry ?
    If so, will copying one of those Rb.cab files onto a floppy be quite useable so long as I refresh the copy in case of registry changes ?

TIA,

Regards.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Micro,

Each users machine and the size of the registry....which for Win98 is simply system.dat\user.dat....will vary. In fact the workstation I'm at now has a reg backup with the file size being almost 2 meg. Since Win98 keeps 5 reg backups....just curious what you feel the need for a floppy backup ?

3. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Thanks Bubba,
    My only thinking was to have a useable backup copy of the Reg. now, when
    the machine is running clean and well.The last time I had to format the C:\ drive was due to my not seeing that things were wrong early enough and was well over a week,
    so the 5 backups would have been as useless as each other.
    If I had a definite good one I could possibly have saved myself a lot of work.

However I was just reading the very informative and well written and received piece
    that Root contributed in Wilders - Disaster Prevention 101.
    I learnt about Drive Imaging,( I had not heard of it before ) and I am now thinking that's the backup I really need, the whole drive.

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.