Win8 - WinRT is "replacing" Win32

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/su...replacing-win32-140605?cpage=2#commentsAnchor

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

the more i read about W8 the more i think this is gonna be something awesome when it hits Beta, if not already. ;)

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I wish I could play with it. :'( :(

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Unfortunately we can't just manually sandbox our regular applications.

5. elapsed

I guess this means IE10 Metro is now the most secure browser as it runs in the new sandbox system? :p Probably a contributing reason to not supporting plugins.

Shame it's unusable in a desktop situation, great for tablets though!

(Unless someone says otherwise, probably the IE blog, I'll continue to believe IE10 desktop doesn't use the new sandboxing system metro apps use.)

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looks great, but Windows 8 only I presume.

7. Hungry Man

IE 9 and 10 are already sandboxed. I assumed that everything else is now being sandboxed in the same way.

@J_L, yeah.

8. elapsed

There's a difference between a real sandbox (like implemented here in WinRT) and protected mode/"chrome" mode. A real sandbox cannot be escaped.

9. Hungry Man

Errr, a sandbox is just a set of restrictions implemented through various methods (sometimes that means virtualization.)

What makes this more real?

10. elapsed

How it's implemented. A sandbox implemented by the OS itself is in the unique situation to actually keep code completely isolated from other programs. I believe the chromium devs themselves have admitted that their sandbox required some "hacking" to implement. Sandboxie itself is a great example if you want to install a program that hooks left right and center.

The way I see it this will end up being the only "clean" sandbox and probably the only real form of isolation.

11. Hungry Man

Granted having it in the OS will certainly make it better, but it's just as much of a sandbox as Sandboxie or even integrity levels.

And IE9/Chrome's sandboxes aren't limited to low integrity.

But it remains to be seen if this will apply to all programs in the computer. I doubt it at this point.

Also keep in mind that all android applications are sandboxed. That hasn't stopped it from being the number one platform for malware (or soon to be.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.