Win8.1 image backup disaster, HM14 the solution?

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by GoEk, Jan 8, 2014.

1. GoEk

GoEk Registered Member

Hi,
    just lost two days of work setting up my new laptop thanks to Microsoft's seriously flawed "System image backup" crap in Win8.1. Do not use it!

I recently bought HDM14 to get an updated HD management tool but will the backup/restore function in HDM14 do what I want which is simply to get a tool that backs up the entire HD as an image to an external SSD and then be able to restore that image to any type and size HD with the options to resize partitions to fit the new HD.

Regards
    Goran

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, of course, that´s one of the main purposes of HDM. But "to any type and size" is too general. Do you foresee any specific problem or have something special in mind?

3. GoEk

GoEk Registered Member

Nothing fancy, right now I am kinda shell-shocked from the MS experience, it failed because "all drive letters and disk type must be EXACTLY the same as they were when you backed up, when you restore" or some similar idiocy. Just want to be reassured that the HDM14 backup tool isn't that stupid.

So, with HDM14 I can "easily" do a complete HD image backup to a USB SSD drive and keep that backup updated by running backups? Is it "intelligent", i.e. will it update the changes to an image or just do a raw and complete backup everytime? Does it compress the backup to save space?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

AFAIK, an already created image is never "updated". You create a new image, that can be a full image, or a differential or incremental image if you choose to follow that route.

Backups are compressed by default. You can choose the compression level. More compression, smaller image but more time to create it.

5. GoEk

GoEk Registered Member

Thanks, tested it already and it looks nice, hopefully it works to restore if/when I need it. I am guessing that the BMB CD I burned contains the same app as installed in windows, i.e. I can use that CD to restore an archive if the HD fails?

Copying a Win8.1 partition on the HD was also the quick and easy way to create a dual boot Win8.1 laptop, nice tool, worth every penny.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.