Win7 Pro + CMD line syntax

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I need some assistance.

I have recently setup my bosses new computer (windows 7 pro). I have all of the quickbooks financial files copied over.

Now, on our main server, I run RemoteDataBackups for our offsite storage. When she was using XP, I just used the Windows Backup software to create a backup of the QB data file and then wrote a batch file to copy it to the main server for offsite backup.

But, Windows 7 does not have that backup feature. It has "a" backup feature, but the problem is, it's not incremental nor does it replace the previous backed up file like I want. Instead, it creates a new backup each time. Well it gets backed up every night, so you can see how quickly it will amass to a huge number of files.

So, since it can't create a single backup of the datafile, I'm trying to just write a batch file to copy the data folder from within QB to the server, but I can't seem to get the syntax right.

The folder is in: "c:\program files (x86)\intuit\quickbooks\", but of course that file format is invalid in command prompt.

I've tried truncating per usual like "progra~1", but in Win7, there are too Program Files folders and it fails every time.

I tried with Copy, XCOPY, and ROBOCOPY, but I have a feeling it is all in the syntax of my batch file.

Can anyone help me figure out the proper syntax to get it to copy the data folder, overriding existing files?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you entered it within speach marks? If not try enclosing it

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

No, didn't try it with quotes. For some reason, i didn't think that would work. I'll try it.....

Yep, that worked. I hate it when It's so easy and I look right over it.

Thank you kindly :)

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

You could also set a permanent environment variable, which would make coding it easier and any future command syntax easier. Just a little extra geek stuff if you were inclined ;)

Sul.

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Code:
    robocopy C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks\ X:\Backup /MIR
    This will mirror the source with the destination every time you backup.

6. axial

axial Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.