Win7 Native boot to VHD and Returnil

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Returner2, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Returner2

Returner2 Registered Member

Is Returnil compatible with Windows 7 Ultimate when booting that OS natively from a VHD? Note, I do not mean booting Windows 7 in a virtual machine. I am referring to the ability to boot natively from a VHD with no virtual machine or hypervisor.
    Can Returnil be installed and used in Windows 7 Ultimate when the OS is installed in a VHD?

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Returner2 and welcome to the forums :)

In theory there should not be an issue. You will need to install RSS or RVS on the system partition for Win 7 on the VHD for it to work properly (similar to installing within each OS on a Multi-boot setup). If you encounter any issues, please let me know.

Mike

3. Returner2

Returner2 Registered Member

I have read that when Windows is booted natively from a VHD, the page file is created elsewhere, not within the system partition. I have noticed when I boot Win7 Ultimate from a VHD, there is no page file in the root of C:. Since the free version of Returnil only virtualizes (or protects) the system partition, the page file is not virtualized (or protected).
    Have the makers of Returnil tested with natively booted VHD? Personally, I don't know enough to make thorough tests.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

It shouldn't make a difference as the Windows pagefile is not virtualized.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.