Win7/Firefox/Fonts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Oct 27, 2015.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I can't seem to be able to get Firefox to find/utilize my favorite fonts... Arial Bold (especially) & Arial Black. Only Arial. They're not listed on the drop down list in Options/Content where you choose your fonts, unlike in XP where they're there.

I looked in my fonts folder in Control Panel to see if they were there, and they are. But they're organized differently than they are in XP. Instead of having each font having it's own entry up front, fonts with subcategories are listed underneath the main font, like sheets of paper laying on top of one another. Regular Arial is on top and the others are underneath. So I thought maybe Firefox could only recognize the main/ones listed on top. I tried changing the views to get them to list them all, but no matter what view it doesn't work.

So to make a long story short (too late)... how can I get Firefox to use Arial Bold and/or Arial Black in Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit? Can you even? The regular Arial is just so skinny. I've become accustomed to seeing the letters show up nice and bold, and so much easier to see... works great with ClearType. Here this Win7 machine has a superior graphics card yet my XP boxes look nicer because I can use the fonts I like best. Seems like a waste.

Any help is appreciated....

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

On a similar question about Firefox Not Recognizing a Font, it seems that awhile back this happened:
    I confirmed that stated Rendering Change: https://blog.mozilla.org/nattokirai/2011/08/11/directwrite-text-rendering-in-firefox-6/
    Via about:config, you can tweak the gfx.font_rendering.cleartype preferences (the Contrast in particular), and see if you came make the Arial default look better.

Perhaps other members can chime in, and post their experiences with font tweaking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.