Win64 + Java + Eset NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by islandjoe, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islandjoe

islandjoe Registered Member

Has anyone seen any problems with a combination of

Eset NOD32, Windows 7 x64 and Javao_O

Symptom is computer locking up hard approx 5 to 10 minutes after startup of Java app. (This is on a clean install) Nothing recorded in Event Viewer.

Switching between 32 or 64 bit version of Java made no difference, neither does switching between Java 7 or 6.

Uninstalled Eset and problem goes away.

Have found sporadic mention of this issue on other websites...

Anyone seen this before?

2. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

3. islandjoe

Latest version of EAV -> 4.2.71.2
    (Now uninstalled, have had no lockups all morning, going to re-install it later and see if problem re-occurs)

Yes, Firefox is default browser, version 6.0.2

Operating system is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Service pack 1.

Problem does not occur when running in safe mode btw.

4. siljaline

siljaline Former Poster

5. islandjoe

Re-installed latest (64bit) version of ESET, system froze up almost immediately
    after starting java-app.

Running eset now with all the java binaries in the exclusion list.
    (Bit of a mission, about 6 different versions installed in various places in system, but I think I got them all)

No crashes so far.
    Edit: Nope, that didn't work, laptop locked up hard while I went to have some lunch.

Will submit log later today.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  6. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

I have the exact same setup Windows 7 x64, NOD32 and Java 6 Update 27 without any problems. We have several java applications and don't have any problems running them all day long.

You mentioned it was a "clean install" of Java but also mention 6 different versions, so that does not sound very clean. Have you attempted to uninstall all version of Java via Programs and Features. You can also check C:\Program Files\Java or C:\Program Files (x86)\Java and confirm that there aren't any other versions floating around. Then do a fresh clean install of Java.

7. islandjoe

It is a clean install of Java SE 7, but there are a number of applications that
    install their own version of the JRE, so it is relatively easy to accumulate a fair
    number of installs.
    On top of that, some applications insist that you have the 32-bit version installed as well, so I've probably got more than 6 copies installed in various places.
    It just means that using the exclude program/file feature in Nod32 to stop it interfering with the Java apps is not as simple as excluding one folder or program. I added 6 or 7 java folders to the exclude list, but the lockups kept happening.

I've been able to consistently crash my laptop by starting a Java app with Nod32 installed, but when we uninstall Nod32 the problem goes away.

So I'm going to leave it for a week and see if I have any more hard lockups. If I do, then it is not NOD32. I was getting several hard lockups per day with NOD32 installed, so we'll see how it goes next...

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, narrow it down to the module that is somehow involved in the issue by following these steps, one at a time:
    - disable real-time protection
    - disable web access protection
    - disable all protections
    - disable HTTP checking
    - disable automatic real-time protection start and restart the computer

Does any of the above resolve the issue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.