Win32/Adware.WBug.A

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Trooper, Mar 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

The above was found in two different places on my hard drive tonight during a regularly scheduled NOD32 virus scan.

It was found at C:\Program Files\AWS\Weatherbug, and in the System Volume Information.

NOD was unable to clean them, so instead I chose to delete the file.

I ran a google of the above thread name and all I could find was a link to the eset website showing the above in a set of previously released virus definitions.

So now I am curious, is this a virus, or spy/adware? Im also a bit confused on how I got it since I have my pc fairly secure. I wonder if something that I installed added it to my pc?

I don't even use weatherbug. o_O

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jag

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Adware in the free version.

Did someone else install Weather bug?

Weatherbug

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I received this message a while ago, which concerned me because I use Weatherbug myself. I did a bit of poking about, and from what I can tell, only older versions of Weatherbug are detected. My guess is that was classified as adware because an adware came bundled with it, though the adware could be bypassed by choosing the Custom installation option. Guilt through association, as far as I could tell.

The current version of Weatherbug (even the free version) does not trigger this message. The free version does have ads, but they are confined to the Weatherbug program itself, much like the free version of Opera has its own ads.

The file the triggered the message for me was located under C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files. It seems to be an ActiveX control that was used to download and install the Weatherbug program itself. Once the program is installed, there is no need for it anymore. Removing this file will not harm the operation of Weatherbug.

4. Trooper

Thanks for the feedback.

Nope, no one else installed WB. It my pc and I just re-formatted two days ago. If it was installed somehow, it must have been a drive by or an Active X like was suggested by the second forum user here.

Strange indeed.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

6. Trooper

I sure did install AIM but have uninstalled it due to runtime errors.

Man so that was my culprit!! :eek:

Thanks for the heads up man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.