win32/32PowerReg Application - how do I remove this?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by newbie2247, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2247

newbie2247 Registered Member

For the last couple of weeks I've noticed red X's on top of my network icon in the tray and a good 30 seconds for my Internet to connec. Thought it might be another software conflict or worse, bad scripting. Did a system restore for a month back and all was swell. For only a couple of days and then it was back. :-(

I was all set to do a factory restore even though I have no clue how to do it. I did some surfing for the 100th time on "slow internet connection" issue (I don't show any of the 100 or so signs of a virus listed on reliable and trusted sites) and became pretty convinced that I ran smack into some bad scripting or something else.

I use AVG 2011 anti virus along with MalwarBytes and Superantispyware on demand. All scans come out pristine. Then I saw a free ESET online scan and learned I have an infection that AVG obviously never detected and removed named: win32/32PowerReg Application.

Is the reason AVG has not detected and removed this is because it's a nuisance rather than vicious malware? How do I remove it? I think I need one of those removal tools and I am pretty freaked out.

Can somebody please help me out here?

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Have you tried "Spybot Search and Destroy" ? (please update after download prior to scanning!)
    (No guarantee , but at least worth a try I think...)

4. newbie2247

Thank you for the link. I'll check into that. Lots to do there. Rather daunting but beggars can't be choosers.

No on the Spybot. Haven't used that in over 10 yrs. Used to use all that freeware way back when and it never caught anything, thankfully. Thank you too.

I'm pretty angry :mad: that AVG 2011 didn't catch it. Everyone lauds AVG and Norton so much. I just got it and already I want my money back. In my eyes AVG is not as great as "all that". Now I'm thinking "what is everybody crowing about"?

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Please, name me one antimalware solution that will detect every infection. You won't be able to.

6. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Any Antivirus program can eventually fail , though quality programs almost never...

B.t.w. , I forgot , not to have any distubances on your machine I would usually recommend not to use "Spybot Search and Destroys" active elements such as "teatimer" and so on, on some systems these things can cause disturbances...
    I use "Spybot Search and Destroy" but for regularly passive scans only, in fact I use a bunch of security programs for passive scans and a few active all the time...

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

~ Removed Personal Comment ~

Are you sure the free ESET scan was actually ESET instead of a rogue?

Grab a 30 day trial of ESET AV then and scan with that. In the settings make sure you go through and select to detect PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and do a full system scan.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  8. newbie2247

Grab a 30 day trial of ESET AV then and scan with that. In the settings make sure you go through and select to detect PUP's (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and do a full system scan.

OK, if I do this I must totally uninstall the AVG. Will have to learn how to do that. I understand these programs are for the most part difficult to remove entirely. Will REVO be sufficient or do I have to get a removal tool from AVG? Maybe they have their own PUP setting too. Will have to check on that, for what it's worth.

Will using the PUP setting effect the normal functionality of my day to day computer time? I gather that is not a "default" setting, correct?

These are all very helpful replies and I thank you for them. Agree with you that no single program catches everything but geesh, on my first week with AVG going to trusted sites that I've been going to for years and wham!

9. whitedragon551

Id run the AVG uninstaller tools. Not sure if AVG has a PUP setting. ESET has a few locations that PUP should be enabled in. Make sure you check all of the settings for each module to ensure that all the PUP settings are enabled.

10. whitedragon551

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Comments and Posts. Do not bash each other please; let's help the OP. Thanks!

12. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

i guess easiest method would be to scan with hitman pro 30 day trial as if it catches it then it vud decrease his work of downloading and uninstalling heavy av

13. smage

smage Registered Member

+1

Here is the link newbie2247
    http://www.surfright.nl/en

Just install it and run a scan.

Regards

14. newbie2247

win32/32PowerReg Application

Thank you. Never heard of Surfman or the very scary and complicated ComboFix link. I appreciate it though, very much. You guys are so learned and experienced. I hate having to come here for obvious reasons but I love this forum. Wilder's Rocks!:D

Last night, before I went to bed, I went to my Advanced Settings on my 2011 AVG anti virus and changed my "default" settings. I put a check mark in absolutely everything and YES, the paid for version does have a PUP option. :) This paid for version has tons more than the free one I used for so long.

On my PC, the daily early morning "whole computer" scan with the new settings I made last night took 1 hour and 3 minutes. That's the same as before I changed all the settings. I am totally shocked - but in a nice way and pleased and grateful. But how can that possibly be with all the extra scanning I assigned it? Seriously? And all it found was 27 tracking cookies, thank god.

The online scanner by ESET is still in my Add/Remove listing meaning it is still on my computer albeit inactive, hopefully, and not interfering with my AVG. From what I've been led to believe from many years of reading is that it's vital that all traces are to be removed when uninstalling an anti-virus program. I also just learned today that not only does the ESET online scanner detect the malware but it removes it. So that means it removed my (above named) win/32powerreg thingy. Also that if you need this scanner again, you have to download it again - doesn't make sense to me but that's the prompt I got while using it. So I am left wondering.....

I now have to uninstall this ESET scanner, totally and properly.:argh:
    This leaves me with a great big 2 part question:

How do I do that?

When I do totally remove it, will it release the win/32 powerreg thing back into my computer? If it is quarantined or in a virus vault or what have you, once I remove this entire application, (like anybody switching from one anti virus to another) does everything it has caught, removed, quarantined, held or put into a virus vault get released back into my computer by my uninstalling it? This I really need to know. What happens to all your malware that is caught while using say Norton when you switch over to say AVG? I'm guessing and assuming that it is all released back onto your computer and that you better hope and pray that your new anti virus picks it up and locks it away. :doubt:

15. newbie2247

Addendum:

What other "On Demand" freeware do you recommend I use? I want to be as protected as all you guys and hopefully not see anymore nasties for a VERY long time.

I already downloaded Spybot and Hitman Pro. Anything else?

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.