Win xp from J: to C: using Acronis image ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by xlarge, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xlarge

xlarge Registered Member

I have to drives each containing 4 logical disks and due to a failure when reinstalling windows for some years ago (where I should replace windows xp in C:, but got it on J: ) I therefore have windows on J: which is the first disk on the other drive.

Because I have had some difficulties using Norton Internet Security 2007 which don't works 100% with windows on J:, I wish to move it to C:. Further I intend to move it all to a new SATA-disk (and forget my old ATA-disks).

Will such a move from J: via Acronis image to C: be functional or will all references be wrong (point to J: ) ?

Hope for an answer ...

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Unfortunately, you'll see entries in the registry that address J:, or C: for that matter, either implicitly as %SystemRoot% or explicitly as the enumerated drive, i.e. as J: or C:. If I understand what you are trying to do, the %SystemRoot% entries will be functional, the explicitly enumerated entries will not be functional.

Blue

3. xlarge

xlarge Registered Member

Using Norton Systemworks for many years I know there is a function that can change driveletters on programs and even in registry belonging to that programs, so if only windows xp can be operational before I reinnstall NSW, it could be a solution.

So, will Windows be functional ? (sorry for my bad english).

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

You could get XP itself to work possibly by just changing the reference in boot.ini, but it'd probably be better to use an XP CD and do a repair install, which will sort out the windows side of things. You would need your product key for this to work.

Then you could uses you other program to change the registry references for you installed programs.

Colin

5. BlueZannetti

No worries, your English is fine.

I did this a while ago..., as I recall, I could boot fine.

Personally, I would recommend simple OS/application reinstalls if possible.

Blue

6. xlarge

xlarge Registered Member

Do you mean: Do a format and install the whole thing ? (I have a slipstream with sp2 - and all my about 40 programs in original)

7. BlueZannetti

Yes. Since this is a new drive, you can always pop the old drive back in if, for whatever reason, problems emerge.

It really depends on your machine and how you've managed your installation sources. I have everything (downloaded installers, serial information, key files, etc.) on an external USB HDD. So once the OS is in, getting all the desired applications loaded and configured is relatively quick and the resulting install is clean and available in a few hours.

Blue

8. xlarge

xlarge Registered Member

Thanks a lot, I am convinced - and go for full install on the new disk.

Thanks a lot, and as a newbie on this forum, I am impressed over the fast and aquarate answers.

Bye for now.

9. BlueZannetti

Best of luck!

Blue

10. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

Btw you would have needed Universal Restore plugin for moving from PATA to SATA your drive, else you'd have a BSOD 007 (Bond, James Bond, huh no it's inaccessible boot device)

Maybe not reinstall Norton it is sooooooo heavy for system!

Good luck!

Jaycee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.