Win 95 dual boot help?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by caulfiek, Jun 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caulfiek

caulfiek Registered Member

Hi
    I currently have XP (disk1) and Suse 10 (disk2) with Acronis DD9 OS Selector handling things nicely.

I'd like to put Win 95 as an additional OS on my 2nd HD (we've some old games we want to play).

I guess I need to make a small FAT partition, and try to install Win 95 on there, and OS Selector should pick it up?

Anyone else tried this, can you give me some advice before I go and fry my MBR by mistake?

Much appreciated

Kieran

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Kieran,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

In order to install an additional Windows 95 operating system you can create a primary partition with FAT32 file system on your second hard drive.
    After that please insert the installation CD of Windows 95 and start Acronis OS Selector. In the menu please choose the option allowing to boot from the CD (there should be the shortcut the shortcut).

When system reboots you should follow the instructions of the operating system installation process and choose in what partition it should be installed. After the process is finished you should boot your original operating system where Acronis Os Selector is installed and add the appropriate string for newly installed Windows 95 to the boot.ini file of this operating system. Please take a look at this article describing how to edit the boot.ini file. Please reactivate Acronis OS Selector.

We can also recommend you to read the Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. caulfiek

caulfiek Registered Member

Ah I see, I've only got Acronis DD9 (It does everything I need), but unfortunately I only have boot from floppy support on the OS Selector (can I buy this seperately?) Seems little point in spending £25'ish on an upgrade to DD10, to enable my kids to play some games that cost £1 each and plug in an old scanner (I can buy a new one for the cost of the DD10 upgrade).

You can put Win 98 on after WinXP, but all the forums I've read say that you would be recommended to use a dedicated Boot Manager (like OS Selector) to do this.

Thanks anyhow

K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.