Win 7 OEM Reactivation: New SSD and/or CPU??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chinook9, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have a PC that I built and installed Windows 7 OEM.

I would like to upgrade it with a new SSD as boot drive and possibly a faster CPU but I am not sure that Microsoft would reactivate the Windows 7 with such changes in hardware.

I have done quite a bit of research on the subject and I have not been able to get a definitive answer.

I would like to hear from Wilder's members who have been successful or unsuccessful in reactivating Windows 7 after a hardware change.

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am not sure about the rules for Windows 7. Windows XP allows up to three hardware changes at a time without having to re-activate.

If you are not sure, I would do the SSD first followed by the CPU upgrade. Boot into Windows 7 at least once with the new SSD drive, turn off the PC, upgrade the CPU and then restart the PC.

3. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

its not just as simple as if u can re activate after hardware changes, but its based on a points based score were some hardware like motherboard etc score more points and WILL need a new activation code but other smaller hardware changes will not need a new activation code. its all very complicated but after a major hardware change u will need to ring M$ and they will ask a few questions and if their satisfied they will issue a new activation code. check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation and

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-...ctivation-re-validation-hardware-changes.html

the key is u have to either convince them u had a hardware failure and needed to replace some parts or that its NOT being installed on more than one PC. as usual M$ make u jump through hoops.

in my opinion rather than preventing piracy it makes the honest user resort to piracy just to make software they already paid for work as its meant to.

Gazzer

4. francisw19

francisw19 Registered Member

I've had no problems re-activating Windows 7 (OEM) after some significant upgrades to my PC. All you really have to do is attempt to re-activate over the internet. If that doesn't work, choose the phone option. With that, it's as simple as reading an 'Installation ID' over the phone and entering a new code they give you. When asked, all you need to mention is that your copy of Windows is installed on ONE PC (as it should be) and you're OK.

I've done this a few times - it's painless and only takes a few minutes. Don't let reactivating hold you back from making some upgrades to your machine. ;)

5. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

if u have windows 7 installed and activated for approx 2-3 months then re activation is no problem, its only a problem when u activate too many times in a short period cos it looks like ur trying to install on more PC's than the license allows (single PC for retail or OEM)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When my HD died and I installed a new one, then reinstalled 7, I had to call MS to activate. But this was about 2 or 3 years ago, and things may have changed. Calling the automated phone activation is no big deal. Just do what it says and if you talk to a rep, explain what you did, and it'll be fine... When they give you the activation code, I suggest you write it down for future use in case you need it again, then you won't have to call them next time, unless hardware changes again.

7. welcomejoeblack

welcomejoeblack Registered Member

you only have to call them once. after that you can re-activate your windows via internet, no matter how many times you re-install windows.

8. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Thank you for your responses. I will go ahead and change get an SSD as soon as I find a killer deal. I probably won't change the CPU but I might if I find a good used one.

Thanks again!

9. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I put an SSD on my machine (Win 7) and had no problem with the reactivation. BTW it was the best upgrade I have ever done.

10. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

I've changed a processor before without triggering and re-activation request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.