Win 10 Win Store Possibly Attacked

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lunarlander, Jul 20, 2016.

1. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Hi,

I was doing a Win Store Update to update my Win Apps on a fresh install. It suddenly closed. But the downloads were continuing when I restarted Win Store again.

My question is what right and privileges does Win 10's Win Store have ? I have read about AppContainer integrity level, is this level below the regular Medium integrity level? What could an attack on Win Store have access to ?

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Likely there was a ' Store ' app update, this automatically closes itself to do the update. ;)

3. lunarlander

I am tempted to believe you - would save me a lot of work. If your Win Apps haven't been updated since install of OS, can you verify that by trying it?

4. Phant0m

No need to test, I recall from experiences.

The ' Store ' app is set to “ Update apps automatically.”

If ' Store ' app update is available, that may be grabbed first before doing other app updates. Either way, it'll close the ' Store ' app if running to update itself.

Same experiences with any app update and using default setting “Update apps automatically.” Which means if you using ' Groove Music ' app, and there's an update, this app will be closed to perform an update. Exactly same experiences with any running app and when there's an update available for it.

5. lunarlander

Thanks a bunch.

By the way, do you know if AppContainer integrity level is lower than Medium integrity level ?

6. Phant0m

What version of the ' Store ' app you have installed? You can grab this information by opening up the Store app and viewing ' Settings '. Scroll down to near bottom and find ' About this app ' section.

Also in Windows Setting \ System \ Apps and features, locate the Store app and on that same line there is a date. What you see for a date?

I'm not sure, but I think when the apps updates, it also updates this area date information.

7. Phant0m

"AppContainers introduce an additional integrity level, called simply AppContainer. AppContainer is even more restricted than low integrity. AppContainer blocks both reads as well as writes. Unlike low integrity, it isn't a simple tag."

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

See: https://blog.nextxpert.com/2013/01/31/demystifying-appcontainers-in-windows-8-part-i/

I added the underlining. I am assuming that AppContainer can be either Low or Untrusted, dependent upon how it has been defined.

9. Phant0m

In Win8/10 a new level is called AppContainer , this level is even safer than Untrusted, basically the process is "sandboxed" by the OS. All Apps from Windows Store run in AppContainer.
    It's why Apps from Windows Store are safer than most of the software you will find on the net, which usually runs at medium or low integrity levels. :isay:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.