Win 10 Version Upgrading Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by itman, Aug 6, 2016.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

I upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 on 7/29 using a build 10240 ISO I had download some months ago.

During the upgrade, it asked if I wanted to apply updates which I allowed. I am still on build 10240 after a week. I thought that by now Win 10 would have updated to the latest non-AU version but it hasn't. Can I assume that my current build 10240 has all the upgrades in the later versions?

Confused with Win 10 updating since I thought it would auto update to the latest version like earlier Win OSes did with SP's.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I don't know if there's a way to control which updates come through. Are you intentionally trying to avoid the "Anniversary" update, ie version 1607 build 14393.10 ?

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

I think the delay is a feature.
    My experience: I didn't upgrade. On Jan.1 I did a clean install of Win10 into a new partition using November2015 ISO on USB flash.
    But I also had a version delay surprise like you did. The installed version was .10240.
    Then on 1/7 a huge update came and it was for .10586. Four or more reboots, more updates and configurations on each reboot, puzzling black screens, a painful process where you don't know what, if anything, is going on.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

The "light switch came on" so to speak in my head.

This might have something to do with the prior OS rollup option when you upgrade? Win 10 might be purposely delaying any version upgrading until the rollback period expires? Makes sense to me.

And yes, I don't want the AU update. If that is all that is offered via Win Updates, I plan on hiding it. So I might have to manually upgrade via ISO download it appears.

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Just curious as to why you don't want the latest version, ie 1607 build 14393.10? Are you using software which has known issues with it? The AU is mostly about "fit and finish" without big changes; kind of an SP1 for 10. FWIW I'm running it on four computers with multiple security layers and no issues.

6. itman

itman Registered Member

It is MS's completion of morphing of Win 10 to a pure OS as a service concept. I am just waiting for MS to lower the hammer on consumers as they have already done so for enterprise users and start charging a monthly subscription service fee. They are not called MS$ without good reason. MS has never given away anything in their existence. I firmly believe the free Win 10 upgrade crap is just a ploy to trap as many people as possible into using it before they start charging everyone a monthly service fee.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Wow, the concept that a for profit corporation expects to charge money for the products they produce... how dare they... :argh:
    I don't work for free so I don't expect them to. Not defending Microsoft as much as pointing out the way business works. Not looking to offend either, but what is the real expectation?
    Anyway, I had read last year that they did hold back upgrades to the newest version until the rollback period is over. But it's now 10 days instead of 30, so it shouldn't take long.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

My guess on what MS$ plans for the Win 10 upgrade users is to let them ride free until the end of support for Win 7/8 at a minimum and then start charging monthly subscription fees. But with the greedy ones, you never know.

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I have another theory. I could well be wrong but didn't Microsoft say the free upgrade was good "for the life of the device"? Does anyone know what that means? Perhaps with every major update from here on will require a slightly higher spec'ed machine until by 2020 when Win7 is EOL all older machines will no longer be capable of running Win10. We will then either have to buy a newer machine or ditch Windows. And perhaps at that point Windows as a subscription may well be the case.

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Glad you brought that up.

My Win 7 license I upgraded from was an OEM one. As such if I replaced the motherboard, I would have to use a new license. I noticed that there is no OEM ref. in the Win 10 license key I was issued. So, I wonder if MS abandoned the OEM licensing restrictions on Win 10? This also plays into your question about the life of the device since MB replacement in the past has voided OEM licenses.

11. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

as I read Ask Woody, not during 30 day 1511 roll-back period, does ISO have 30 day roll-back

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  12. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Its a continuing beta. A new version of Windows keeps coming out every few months.

Too much for most people. Microsoft should create an LTS branch of Windows 10 with only critical security and stability fixes.

That's what Ubuntu does with its stable branch line. People who want new features can upgrade in between.

13. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB
    Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle?p1=18612

LTSB is the fast and efficient branch with no Metro apps, no Metro start menu, old calculator, etc. Everything that anyone would dream of for Windows 10.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Too bad its not available to consumers. That's the version of Windows 10 I would upgrade to in a jiffy! None of that Metro (universal apps) nonsense. Just what I want in my Windows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.