WIll you stay with Windows in 2020

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Feb 4, 2018.

?

W7 will be eol, Jan 2020. What option will you choose?

1. Stay with W7

18 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Move to W8.1

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. Move to W10

45 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. Move to Apple

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. Move to Chromebook

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  6. Move to Linux

30 vote(s)
    25.6%
  7. Move to Android

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Other

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

W7 has two years of extended support remaining, then it will not receive support from Microsoft. No more security updates, nada. It will be end of life.

Windows 10 is now a known quantity. It targets the enterprise, but there are still many consumers who use Windows. Home and Pro systems are primarily user managed and that is changing with W10. That is now even more evident with the introduction of Windows Home 10 S mode (includes the Win32 components), planned to be available for Home users in 2018. However, there are alternatives to Windows for the non enterprise user. Leaving Windows is a choice that was not all that palatable in the past.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I need to stay with windows, and windows 10 offers me nothing until I replace hardware, which as of now is not on the horizon. Lack of updates doesn't bother me as with this current mess I am not applying updates any more.

3. lofac

lofac Registered Member

I will most likely stay with W7, but if I really, really have to change, then I'd move to Linux.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I voted "Move to W8.1" but amusingly I'm already on Win8.1. In fact, on Win8.1 since its first release, I like it much more than Win7.

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Now my hardware is not best at virtualization, so I use Windows (dualbooting with OpenBSD for more sensitive stuff) but in future I am going to upgrade hardware. Then I am going to use Gnu/Linux as main system and some VM with Windows executed occasionally for some programs.

6. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I've moved on to Linux for the most part. I only keep Windows around because some apps I use doesn't work on Linux yet.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I will probably move to Windows 8.1, but I'm not sure yet. Will see what's the deal with Windows 10 in two years.

8. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

The last time I bought a new Windows computer it was 2007 I bought an over priced piece of junk with Windows Vista on it.
    I said I will never do that again and I have not bought another Windows computer since and I still have no intention of doing so.

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

LOL...I was offered Vista when I ordered a custom build desktop back in 2007, but I declined the offer, and went with XP Pro. Still works to this day. But, I only use XP rarely, these days. As a backup to my Surface Book laptop. I hope to get another custom desktop in the future.

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I've already moved to Linux.

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I voted move to Windows 10. However I already have Windows 10 installed on all of my 9 laptops. On some laptops I am dual booting Windows 7 and 10. But on my main laptops I only run Windows 10, as I had no reason to stick with Windows 7. So it won't affect me at all when Windows 7 reaches EOL.

12. ZMsiXone

ZMsiXone Registered Member

i will move to win8.1. MSI doesnt support W10 on this laptop model (its a discontinued gaming laptop from MSI): they offering drivers for Win8.1 only... ...therefore i have no choice.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It shouldn't matter at all that MSI are not offering Windows 10 drivers for your laptop. I'm running the latest build of Windows 10 on laptops from 2006 which came with XP.

Windows itself may be able to find and install every needed driver. However, maybe it will miss just one or two. In that case the Windows 8.1 drivers from MSI should install and work just fine. Or an alternative would be to use driver updater software such as Wise Driver Care. It has much larger database of drivers than most driver update software and even the free version can download and automatically install any drivers it finds.

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Me too, but I could also migrate to Kubuntu or Mint.

15. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

I will run Win 7 on two computers until the computers die. (8 year old laptop is close to death)
    I have already moved to Apple as main computer.

16. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Dumped w7 for 10, should have done it a long time ago!

17. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

W10 is quite nice once you set it up and get used to it.

18. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Ditto. Just bought a new box in November & opted for Win 7 Pro.
    (My plotter isn't supported by Win 10.)
    I fear that if we buy a new puter in 2020, anything other than Windows 10 will not be an option.

19. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

25 years of Windows plenty enough for me and I see the road where it is going...
    So no, w7 was the last one for me

20. JoWazzoo

JoWazzoo Registered Member

Linux Mint when security updates for Win 7 stop. I have 2 years to learn it (Linux) again. :)
    FWIW Windows (and before that DOS) since the first versions. I detest 8, 8.1 and especially 10.

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's unlikely I'll stay with Windows, unless Win 11 is really good lol. I have four computers, only one runs Windows.

22. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

If this ancient W7 laptop is still functioning in 2020, I'll probably install Mint or Xubuntu on it. My other laptop already comes w/ W10.

23. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

When MS announces an upgrade to Windows firewall that includes proper outbound packet filtering support with alerts and access logs I might, might consider it. Until then I will know they continue to support phone home malware the way they always have and I will say thanks, but no thanks.

24. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

I already moved to Windows 10 a long time ago. And so far, I'm glad I did.

25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I did one even better and dumped windows 7 for linux.I should have definately done that a long time ago.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.