Will TI8 backup THIS program??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MageJubi, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MageJubi

MageJubi Guest

I have one program the refuses to be backed up by anything so far. Ghostsurf 2005 (or Platinum version) The last backup program I tried was Dantz Retrospective 6.5. It too, claims 100% restoration--too bad it doesn't, as Ghostsurf still requires re-activation. (You get 3 activations before you either have to reorder, or write a letter telling why you need to re-activate it again--all a pain). Will TI8 restore Ghostsurf completely??. I'd really like to know BEFORE I buy the program. Thanks.

2. MageJubi

MageJubi Guest

I had to find out sooner or later, and I'm happy to say it does. TI8 backed up and restored everything from bare metal--and a lot faster than other similar programs I've tried. For test purposes, the backup image was restored from another partition on the same drive, from a dvd, and accross the network with no problems, no error messages.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, you satisfied yourself before we could answer, so let me say that it definitely will work. :)

Retrospect is a file backup utility, it reads the files as they are written by Windows. If there is a sneaky bit of stuff written in a nonstandard way or location, a file backup will miss it. TrueImage backs up the drive sector by sector without knowing what files are where. As a result, the restored image is just like the drive you started with, and even the tricky files are restored.

4. markbackup

markbackup Registered Member

I thought that True Image was not able to do a sector by sector restore,
    which means that a file might wind up in a different place on the disk
    than it originally was. In addition, sectors that the filesystem doesn't
    think are in use are not backed up.

Am I mistaken?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi markbackup,

TI carries out in-use sector imaging. During a restore the data on these in-use sectors will be copied back to the source drive but, as Acronis Support has previously said, the sectors addresses may well be different.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.