Will this work?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by serpico, Mar 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serpico

serpico Registered Member

I need to clone the hard disk from my laptop to another laptop (with same hardware specs).

I plan to clone the hard disk (SATA) to an external USB drive. Then use the TI-created boot cd to boot the 2nd laptop (with external USB drive connected) and transfer the drive image onto the hard drive in the 2nd laptop.

Can anyone spot any issues/problems with this proposed method?

A few specific questions:
    1. Is it preferable to boot from the Acronis rescue cd when cloning the hard disk as opposed to running the cloning operation from Windows XP?

2. Is there a difference between the "Create Image Wizard" and the Clone Disk function? The ATI FAQ mentions this:

"Reboot the source computer and boot it from the created bootable media. Now run the 'Create Image' wizard and create an image of the prepared hard disk drive."

I don't see a Create Image Wizard. The Tasks I see are Backup, Recovery, Clone Disk, and Add New Disk.

3. Should I be running the Microsoft System Preparation tool before I clone the hard disk?

Apologies if these are very basic questions - I'm a noob to TI. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

When moving an image to different hardware it is always advisable to use SysPrep. And for what you want to do it would be better, IMHO, to use the Image Backup rather than the Clone feature. Cloning seems to have its own unique set of problems.

Image Backup will create a compressed image file, Cloning does not compress.

I like to use the TI bootable CD for all procedures.

3. serpico

Thanks for the info Chutsman.

If I use the Backup function (creates a .tib file) to create an image of a bootable partition, and later restore that image to a new hard drive, will the new hard drive be bootable and contain the OS, apps and settings?

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi serpico,

While Chutsman is still sleeping sound I can answer this.

Yes, the new drive will be bootable and will contain every bit of data from the old one, provided that you created the image of the entire disk, which includes the Master Boot Record (MBR). That means that while creating the image you must see that the tickbox in front of Disk1 is checked too, not just the individual partition(s).

5. serpico

OK, thanks bVolk, I think I get it.

One more q: Can I do this with the trial version? Does the trial allow you to restore images using the TI bootable cd? I know it does not allow you to create images using the cd, so I figured I can create the backup image from Windows, but to restore I would need to boot from the TI cd.

6. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Okay, I'm awake now. :D . About the Trial version, it is supposed to be fully functional, but lately I'm seeing some messages where people are finding that it is not so. Actually I think it DOES allow you to create the images from the CD. If it doesn't, I don't know how else people can determine if this software is right for them. Try it and see and let us know.

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Yes serpico,

The windows version of a trial TI is fully operational but time-limited. On the Rescue CD, created from a trial installation, Backup will not function, but Recovery will. So you can test the whole procedure as it would be performed after a crash and as you outlined it correctly.

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Nice to have you back Chutsman,

I thought it was as you say about the trial Rescue CD, but i think it was seekforever who corrected me. Well, it can be checked by serpico in no time.

To serpico: If Recovery does not function from the trial Rescue CD, you should at least run Check Archive on the image stored on the external drive to see if the rescue version recognizes your particular USB drive.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  9. serpico

Haven't had a chance to run this yet, but other posts in this forum indicate that the trial is not fully functional. You can create backup images with the boot cd, but cannot restore them. Apparently the full version will let you restore backup images created with the trial version, so that's good.

I suppose the limitations make sense from Acronis' perspective. If they allowed you to create a fully functional boot cd, then there is no need to buy the program. Of course, there are ways to time-limit a fully functional boot cd, but Acronis' method is probably somewhat less susceptible to hacking.

However, the company does its potential customers a disservice by referring to their trial version as fully functional (with a time limit) when it is not. They should be more upfront about the (very justifiable) limitations they have built into the trial.

Anyway, thanks for the advice on using TI. Chutsman, as you observed, the Clone Disk function is a bit flaky. Have not had much luck with that. Using the backup function on the entire disk seems to be the way to go.

I'll post on my further experience with the program, when I get around to using it some more.

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

NO!

According to Acronis:
    Please be aware that the trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available, 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only.

I am sure the reason for the fact the Recovery function is available from the CD rather than the Create is so you can test the recovery CD. You have the option to Create an image of C from within Windows and the option to Restore it with the CD. The other way around would not give any option to test restoring the C partition on a bare disk.

Trick to remember which way the Trial Version works:

REScue CD = REStore function

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.