Will TCPView show all malware connections?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by geekwars, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekwars

geekwars Guest

I was wondering if using TCPView will show me all malware that is connecting to the net? Including spyware, adware, keyloggers, trojans, and rootkits.

Is there any way that malware accessing the net or trying to access the net would NOT show up in TCPView? Or said another way, is there any malware that could somehow bypass or not show up in TCPView?

Thanks in advance.

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Do you have the commonly used malware removal tools? ad-aware, spybot, etc.

Jimbob

3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I believe some trojans can use hidden windows processes. However, one would think that any process that "listens" on port(s) for inbound connections would show up in TCPView, even if the process wasn't identified. Ports Explorer {PE} by Diamond CS is a good one to use, but not free. PE can reveal the hidden windows and identify associated processes, amongst other things.

4. geekwars

geekwars Guest

Thanks for help guys.

Jimbob:

Yes I have many security tools like Firewall, AV, AT, Spybot, Adaware, Prevx, ect.... I was just wondering about TCPView because I'm always testing my security and having another way to make sure nothing is accessing the net behind my back is that much more helpful. Especially for rootkits because I'm not sure I can detect them.

Randy_Bell:

PE looks good but I'm am just testing free software at this time. I have many payware stuff already and don't want another payware. But thanks anyhow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.