Will prevx conflict with KAV/KIS proactive defense?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mitsu3kgtsl, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitsu3kgtsl

mitsu3kgtsl Registered Member

Title says it all. I'm current running KIS6 (not the MP1 beta) and have read up lately about Prevx, and it sounds like I would prefer it over other HIPS.

I understand that KIS has built in proactive defense, but I like the idea behind a community based whitelist/blacklist and assume it may be more powerful than just KIS's practive defense alone.

Does anyone run this configuration or have any insight to if it is a good or bad idea? Thanks.

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I never found any problems, but there's little point in having both do the same thing so I would, at least, disable the parts that overlap in KIS.

3. mitsu3kgtsl

Which part would that be, the Application Analyzer module?

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What I did when I was running them was to go through the Advanced tab and disable the individual features that Prevx1 covered. This is a lengthy process, and it may be easiest to just disable KIS' "proactive" module. Fact is that I did not see any conflicts running it either way, but you'd be perfectly fine (could even argue better off) just letting Prevx1 handle that stuff, and would leave less room for potential problems in the long run. Disabling just what Prevx1 covers in KIS doesn't leave you with much anyway ;)

5. mitsu3kgtsl

Thank you for the responses, but now I have another question regarding this. Is it worth the extra cpu and memory usage to run prevx instead of the KIS proactive module? If the difference is that much better than I could see doing so, but if its only a slight improvement over what KIS already offers, should I even bother?

6. muf

muf Registered Member

I run KIS6 with Prevx1. The only part of the KIS6 Proactive Defence I run is the Application Activity Analyzer. In that module the only part I don't have enabled is Intrusion into process. Not because it conflicted, but because it annoyed the hell out of me. I'm not a "Answer popup after popup sort of guy". As to whether it's worth it. I think so as I prefer the quiet peaceful environment and don't desire to be a slave to my pc. They co-exist with no problems on my pc. 3Ghz Athlon 1gb ram Windows XP SP2.

muf

7. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I also own KIS and a couple of weeks ago, I tried running Prevx1 together.Even if I like the approach of Prevx1, I didn't see any improvement and I don't think it's worth the extra cpu and memory usage.

I rather had some sort of conflict. It took like two and a half minutes to boot up and the same at shutdown. Since I removed Prevx1, everything is back to normal.

Maybe it's only with my configuration.o_O

8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, thats the cost of adding an extra layer with PrevX..............you could of course add the Prevx processes to the trustedzone in Kav/Kis, the question of course is if you actually need it, many won't. :)

9. muf

muf Registered Member

That's an interesting point Don, and one I had overlooked. Yes of course I did add Prevx's two main running files to the KIS6 trusted zone. PXAgent.exe and PXConsole.exe

As to the price you pay. Well I suffer no slowdown running both, so the price is very cheap for me :)

muf

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Don is right, you really wont need anything else. Of course vendors will tell you otherwise.:cautious:

11. mitsu3kgtsl

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I won't bother adding Prevx until I feel the need to do so.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you want to add something add ProcessGuard. ProcessGuard and PAD complement each other. PG doesn't protect the registry and PAD does. I really like them together. I get a fair amount of popups from one or the other but that doesn't bother me. There is one HIPS though I tried (I don't remember which one) that I hated almost instantly because it gave me endless popups.

13. mitsu3kgtsl

My concern about adding PG is avoid popup hell. One of the reasons I switched to a suite in the first place was to limit the number of confirmations that my security software needed from me, and so far I've been happy. Hence the reason I was interested in adding Prevx, is mainly because of its whitelist/blacklist automated decision making. Does PG have a mode it can run it where it will still offer me additional security with little to no popups?

Also, I beleive I paid for PG a little over 2 years ago, would my license still be usable?

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes, try it, maybe you unlike me can make it work on your pc.:)

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Of course Prevx1 uses memory, but it should not be using any noticible amount of CPU. I ran Prevx1 and KIS together for a while with no noticible slowdown on the part of Prevx1. If it's eating CPU and/or slowing things down, contact support as that's not normal.

16. mitsu3kgtsl

One trend I've noticed in this thread is that a lot of people state that they've "used" kis and prevx together in the past, but it doesn't seem like they do currently. Is this becuase you guys were unhappy with KIS, or found a more suitable partner for prevx?

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

As Don said your license is still good. You can try the new version. I had some problems with the betas and I decided to continue using the 3.15 version but most users are doing fine with the new version so I would suggest you try it first.

After PG learns you shouldn't get a lot of popups. I get them if I forget to disable it or put it in learnng mode when I install a new application but otherwise not many. In some cases, I want a popup. I have IE on a short leash because one day, out of the blue, it started up on its own and went to WU and was trying to download WGA when I caught it. I don't use WU and I don't want WGA on my system. So, I told PG to ask every time before allowing IE to run. I don't use it often (Fx is my default browser) so that doesn't bother me ...the popup and now there is no way IE can start up on its own and go to WU.

I love PAD and it is a major reason I am happy with KAV, I have all parts of PAD enabled and I don't get what I would consider to be excessive alerts from it. I haven't had any problems with PAD that others complain about and I use it turned on fully but maybe that is because if I do get a popup it doesn't freak me out since I'm used to some popups with PG. PG doesn't have anywhere near the number of popups that some of the other similar applications have. I tried them all and didn't like any of them. Prevx didn't have popups but I didn't like the concept. I far prefer how KAV PAD does it.

18. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Anyone wishing to compare results of KAV's PAD with Prevx may care to look at the PDF file vailable here:-

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

You need to click "online results" and then scroll down to "Comparative of various protection tools October 2006 Report (PDF) "

Basically KAV's PAD performed better than Prevx.

19. mitsu3kgtsl

topper; Thank you for the provided link. Something like that is exactly what I was looking for and it has help me justify my decision to stick with KIS' proactive defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.