Will PG stop Hxdef gold?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by trx37, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trx37

trx37 Guest

Hi,

I am considering the purchase of Process Guard, but would like to know if PG will prevent the installation of the Hacker Defender Gold rootkit?

Hxdef Gold is the rootkit that is claimed by the author to be able to beat nearly all rootkit detectors. Actually, I don't know of any rk detector that will detect it once it is installed on your computer.

Also would PG be able to detect Hxdef Gold after it was installed on your system and be able to stop it?

Thank you for any accurate answers to my question.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

PG can block rootkit installation (via service or driver) but cannot do anything to detect or remove an already running rootkit - the only guaranteed method of removing an active rootkit is a reinstallation of Windows from a known clean source (e.g. the original installation CD-ROM).

3. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Paranoid2000 is correct about PG blocking an RK tying to install, and the guaranteed method of removing an active one.

Of course if you install PG after the event, there is no certain guaranteed way of discovering some RK's, especially Gold.

You could spend/waste many hours/days etc searching all over your HD with the various tools etc available, but in vain.

If you feel you might be under some threat from RK's, then i would DL PG and all the other Apps etc you require from a safe PC and save to a CD.

Then fdisk and reformat ASAP and reinstall everything and optimise all your settings on everything. And only then connect to the internet and update everything, and then optimise again.

If you practise safe surfing etc with a secured browser of your choice that always helps too.

This way you will be protected from day one.

StevieO

4. ch0pper

ch0pper Guest

the answser is no my friend !!! there are ways around this with the gold version !!!

ch0pper

hacker defender team

5. controler

controler Guest

HELP ME CHOPPER HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

I still say that today on occasion and my youner co-workers just look at me like I am wierd. They don't remember that cartoon I used to watch on TV as a young boy. :)

I know there is a still a few here that still use DOS even to this day.
    It is funny how many people post on how XP is not related to DOS at all anymore but why can I still do Tree,(XTREE) attrib, FC , ect commands.

I remember the days when IT's tried to hide files & DIR's via just using ATTRIB
    commands. Yea that was before all the user rights bla bla.

NOw I see more and more people following my preaching on FORMAT LOL

This new era seem to be more motivated and interesting.

Was just noticing the other day how everybody shares.

DCS created the MD5.DLL if I am correct and some SPyware uses that same DLL.

controler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.