Will new files be deleted?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jimanp, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimanp

Jimanp Registered Member

If I use restore to bring my computer back to a state it was in when I made the back up file will all programs and files installed after the backup was made be deleted? I have a backup on seperate hd and am tempted to use it to correct a problem with drivers or Windows but I have installed many programs and have many downloaded files since the backup was made and I don't want to lose or have to install again.

Thanks
    Jim

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Yes, they will disappear, but with a bit of planning you may be able to solve the problem.

You could take another image now with a different filename than the one you wish to restore. Restore the original image and then plug the second image and restore the individual files and folders that are missing from that image.

You could also take an image of just the required files and folders, but you may miss something and not realize the omission until you have zapped your current disk contents.:cool:

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Jimanp,

When you perform the Restore operation, all present data on disk are erased and the HD is rebuilt to the same state it was in when you created the image. Anything you saved to disk after the last backup will be lost.

You can, however, copy specific files from old images by using the Plug Image tool, without performing a full restore. That would help, if you want just get back a lost driver.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

What a CLEVER trick, Ozmaniac!

So simple, logical, and still fully overlooked. My compliments!

Boris

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello bVolk,

Just to be clear though, any applications that you installed after creating the earlier image will probably need to be reinstalled after restoring your HD. You can't normally just copy their respectives program folders from the latest image as there will be many Registry entries, etc. that need to be incorporated.

Regards

6. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,

Yes, I'm aware of the applications problem. But for data files, it's a one sweep, no searching, no wandering, solution. You have all your files in that last backup, help yourself if and when you need anyone of them.

It shocked me because it totally eluded me before. As a strategy to apply rutinely before any restore, I mean. Or at least rutinely think of it. I've been using TI for some two years now, the Plug Image tool too. But from now on, before any restore, I'll always ask myself: Is the state of disk I so much want to get rid of, a total throwaway? Should I create this last backup first? And I bet the answer will be: Yes, Boris, do that - and sleep well.

I hope that didn't sound too pathetic, but for me, in these two years, TI has been more a peace of mind than an active rescuer, thankfully.

Boris

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  7. Jimanp

Jimanp Registered Member

Thanks for all the fine ideas, what would you think if I did the following,

Made a full backup of C: on Jan 1
    Made a full backup of D: on Jan 5
    Made a full backup of E: on Jan 10

Windows XP Pro and Major programs are installed on C:
    Video editing on D:
    Downloads, Minor programs and data on E:

Problems occur on C: drivers, etc for example, on Jan 15

I restore using C: from Jan 1 and re-install any programs that were installed on E: after Jan 10

Would this bring me back to what I had on Jan 11?

Thanks
    Jim

8. Ozmaniac

If D: or D: and E: are on the same physical disk as C:, your strategy of backing up C: alone will mean that your MBR is not included in any of your images. You must back up the entire disk by checking the box next to the disk name for the MBR to be included in the image. The Jan 1 'base' backup should be of the entire disk for that reason and the initial restore will also need to be of the entire disk unless of course you are prepared to mess about with the boot CD and fixmbr to get C: back to being bootable.:cool:

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think for the purpose of his question the MBR is a non-issue. He just had a problem with C and isn't replacing the physical drive. Replacing the C partition doesn't cause any problem with the existing MBR.

10. Ozmaniac

Yes seekforever, good point and absolutely correct.:cool:

11. Jimanp

Jimanp Registered Member

My reason for not using a complete backup of the whole physical disk which contains C,D,and E is because I may have programs and files on D and E that are later than when I made the backup of C, and all I want to change is basically what is on C drive, I suspect that any program that is installed and resides on E may have to be reinstalled to work properly, but I won't lose any data or files on D and E. Would this be correct?

My next method would be to make a complete backup of the physical drive containing C,D,and E saved to say Jan1
    Then making a backup of D saved as Jan2
    Then making a backup of E saved as Jan3
    To restore I would start with Jan1 then Jan2 then Jan3 to restore C drive and have exactly what I had on D and E at the time of Backup.

Is this correct also?
    I would think the result would be the same, but with more work and I would still have to reinstall any program installed on D or E right?

Could someone explain, in simple terms exactly where the MBR resides, I assume it is on the disk just before C is accessed, does it control D & E also?

Thanks
    Jim

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  12. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are Jan1, Jan2,Jan3 just filenames of the images or are they also the dates the images were made?

I think your method is fine. The only thing you have to remember and I think you know this, is that if you install a program to E or any other drive it actually writes registry and other entries (Program Start menu for one) on the C drive. In other words, to have installed programs totally synchronized, C and any other drive with installed programs should be backed up at the same point in time to make life easy.

You say you have installed programs and data on E. You may find that keeping data in its own partition(s) separate from installed programs may make things easier.

A lot of this is a matter of personal choice and how you work so the above is just a possible suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.